News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale rail joiners

Started by randbo, November 15, 2010, 08:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randbo

does bachmann sell regular metal rail joiners for their ez track system? i need to apply power to certain rail sections without the plug terminal stuff they offer. also, what happens when a rail joiner breaks on a piece of track. do they sell them?

simkon

No, they don't sell any, but most any manufacturer's N scale rail joiners for code 80 should work.

randbo

atlas doesnt work. the flange is too thick on the ez track.

simkon

Did you try code 55 or code 80 rail joiners?

simkon

Are you sure, because I just connected an Atlas code 80 rail joiner to a piece of E-Z track, but could not connect a code 55 rail joiner. I'm pretty sure you were trying to use code 55 rail joiners. Either that or Atlas has changed their joiners in the past 5 years.

randbo

hmm ok, i will take a look at it again. the insulated ones dont fit, thats for sure.

simkon

Quote from: randbo on November 15, 2010, 05:14:38 PM
hmm ok, i will take a look at it again. the insulated ones dont fit, thats for sure.
The insulated ones come in both code 55 and 80 and at the local war vet museum I used the Atlas code 80 insulated joiners in-between two turnouts and they fit fine. I think think you may have accidentally purchased code 55 joiners instead of code 80.

randbo

hmm strange. now i did get some atlas code 80 rail joiners and i was wrong. THEY DO WORK. however, the insulated ones i have dont. i purchased ALL 3 sizes of atlas insulated rail joiners, code 55, 65 and 80. none are even close to fitting. hmm.

however the metal rail joiner problem is solved. thanks guys.

randbo

well i did some more work on it and i found all of the answers.
first of all, atlas code 80 metal rail joiners do work, as others have said here.

but for insulated joiners, the atlas code 80 insulated joiners are too fat in the body to slip under the plastic lip thats under the edge of the track end that has the fastening clip on it. of course this is not a problem with atlas code 80 track as there is nothing under the metal track on each end.

however, the atlas code 65 true track insulated rail joiners DO FIT on ez track as the body is flatter on those. so guys you can use atlas code 65 true track insulated joiners for bachmann ez track. they look good too btw since they are clear.

seems strange that bachmann asks you to rely on atlas products for rail joiners of both types.