News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small baggie of graphite?

Started by bru, November 14, 2010, 03:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bru

Hi

I recently purchases a 4-8-4 Class J DCC locomotive - it came with no instructions, just a parts list. It came with a small baggie of what looks to be large granules of graphite. Can anyone shed some light on what this is / used for?

Thanks in advance!

jettrainfan

From what i read in the past, its suppose to represent coal and you glue it onto the bunker of the tender or something like that. Thats just my guess, i could be right or wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jonathan

That's an excellent guess, JTF.

I'm holding on to all my little baggies of coal dust, in case I ever get brave enough to weather my steamers.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Bru - You don't have to wait until you weather your locomotive to use the small bag of coal. Brush a thin layer of white Elmer's glue (or other water-soluble glue) on the existing coal load in the tender. Gently sprinkle on the 'coal' while the glue is still wet. [I would suggest you do this over a piece of newspaper to capture any errant grains of coal.] The glue will dry transparent and will secure the [much better looking] coal load to your tender. Should you desire to remove the added coal; merely dampen the coal/glue and it will be released...'not sure whether or not you can reuse the same coal. I have used this method on both of my Bachmann Spectrum American 4-4-0s with good results.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

bru-

You can also use the dust as soot to weather your model.  Just use a soft brush to spread it around, especially near the stack, and secure it with Dullcote or some-such.
                                                                                                  -- D

bru

Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate all of your help!

bru