News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dual Mode?

Started by Johnson Bar Jeff, November 15, 2010, 01:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Could one of you DCC guys help a straight DC guy with a question?

I was reading the description for the Richmond American and came across this line:

Quotedual-mode NMRA-compliant decoder with 8-pin plug

What does that mean? Is "dual-mode" something that has to do with its DCC system, or does it mean that the engine can be operated on either DCC or straight DC?

Thanks!

JBJ

OldTimer

A dual mode decoder-equipped loco will run on DCC like any other DCC engine.  It will also run on straight DC.  There is some question as to whether decoder-equipped locos run better on DC with or without the decoder.  The 8-pin plug you mention is no doubt the standard NMRA medium plug.  You can unplug the decoder and replace it with a dummy plug (probably included with the engine).  My personal experience is that there's no difference in performance.  Your experience may be different, and bear in mind that sound decoders are a completely different story.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

richg

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on November 15, 2010, 01:14:40 PM
Could one of you DCC guys help a straight DC guy with a question?

I was reading the description for the Richmond American and came across this line:

Quotedual-mode NMRA-compliant decoder with 8-pin plug

What does that mean? Is "dual-mode" something that has to do with its DCC system, or does it mean that the engine can be operated on either DCC or straight DC?

Thanks!

JBJ

Simple way to get an answer with links you can save in Favorites for future reference and send to others.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7lFogOFMblkAfJpXNyoA?p=dcc+dual+mode&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-701

Rich

CNE Runner

Hey Jeff - As was explained a 'dual mode' decoder is capable of running on DC or DCC. I have the Bachmann Spectrum GE 45 Ton switcher (dual mode) and run it exclusively on DC. Other than a very slight 'buzzing' the locomotive runs flawlessly. Actually I didn't notice any 'buzzing' until I ran the same locomotive on a friend's DCC layout - and it seemed to run quieter. The only other thing I have noticed is that one has to turn the throttle up higher to get a dual mode locomotive to move (on DC)...this may be what was another poster was referring to by "removing the decoder". Dual mode gives one the choice of operation in both worlds (DC or DCC).

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Hey, guys, thanks very much for the quick and clear response to my question! It's very much appreciated!

I already have one Richmond American (unlettered, wood cab, Russia iron and pinstripes) which runs fine--at least to me--on straight DC. I'm writing this from work, so I don't have the box in front of me and can't speak to any technical information on the model itself. I got it for what I considered a good price from thefavoritespot, and I'm now looking at the more modernized version of the engine (piston valve cylinders, steel cab) from the same source, but obviously I don't want to buy an engine that I can't run. The engine I'm now looking at is listed at just over $100 (no sound, but that's not an issue for me).

Thanks again for your help!

JBJ

Atlantic Central

Jeff,

To the issue of whether it is better to leave the decoder in for DC operation depends a lot on the kind of DC throttle you have. With most regular power packs the DCC decoder will not make much difference either way, except for the higher starting voltage.

BUT, if you use any kind of more advanced DC throttle, that has automatic pluse power or pulse width modulation for beter speed control, you will want to remove the decoder.

And you will want to remove the capacitors that are wired accross the motor leads on the circuit board.

I use the Aristo Craft Train Engineer wireless radio throttles and most dual mode decoders simily will not work with my throttles. But with the decoders removed, these throttles provide slow speed perfromance equal to any DCC decoder/system.

Sheldon

Johnson Bar Jeff

Thanks, Sheldon. That's interesting and useful to know. Fortunately--or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, I guess--I run my itty-bitty semipermanent layout with a regular MRC power pack. Based on the performance of my current Richmond American, I doubt I would have any issues with a new engine.

The only real issue, then, appears to be whether I actually need another Richmond American. My big accomplishment this year has been to learn how to get 45-year-old Mantua steamers to run like brand new, so you could say I sure don't need another engine.

But still. ...  ;D

CNE Runner

Jeff - I have had great success with Yardbird Trains (http://yardbirdtrains.com/index.htm) and highly recommend their upgrade service on Mantua trains. They preform good work at reasonable prices.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on November 17, 2010, 04:20:53 PM
Jeff - I have had great success with Yardbird Trains (http://yardbirdtrains.com/index.htm) and highly recommend their upgrade service on Mantua trains. They preform good work at reasonable prices.

Ray

You're sort of preaching to the choir here, Ray.  ;)  I'm familiar with Yardbird Trains. I've gotten great, reliable, and honest service from Dan, and I'm happy to do business with him and also to recommend Yardbird to others.  :)

JBJ