News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thunder Valley EMD GP40

Started by Grumpy47, November 16, 2010, 11:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy47

I have a emd GP40 from the thunder valley set, Can i add a dcc coder to it? and if so which one will work?

richg

According to the loco diagram, it does not look DCC ready if I am looking at the correct diagram.
A DZ125 could be hard wired into the loco. The decoder is quite small and cost $19.95. I do not know if Bachmann sells one as small with the same good running options.
Just follow the NMRA DCC wiring code but you better know how to solder and insulate the solder connections.
NCE sells the BACH-DSL lightboard type decoder for the Bachmann DCC ready diesels but do not know if this decoder will fit the loco you have. $19.95. It comes with yellow glow LED's.
Litchfield Station, a good DCC on line shop might have an answer. They have helped me.

Rich

simkon

You can use a DZ123 or DZ125, as long as you can soldier and have an iron/gun available you can do the install just be sure to test all your connections on a test track with reduced power to avoid the magic smoke in case you made a mistake and be sure to insulate all wires well.

richg

Quote from: simkon on November 16, 2010, 12:05:09 PM
You can use a DZ123 or DZ125, as long as you can soldier and have an iron/gun available you can do the install just be sure to test all your connections on a test track with reduced power to avoid the magic smoke in case you made a mistake and be sure to insulate all wires well.

Those decoders are sometimes advertised as Z scale. Don't let that scare you. Those decoders are good for 1 amp. I and many others use them in HO scale locos.
Do a search for dz123 and dz125 using google.

Rich

Ken G Price

As for trying to put a decoder in a engine not made for it  (destroyed two decoders and one motor on some older engines) my experience says do not even bother unless you know what you are doing. I have 2 of the Bachmann GP40's and they work well on DC, but I would never bother to convert.them for my DCC layout. Just to much effort, and one mistake and poof. You will be far happier just spending the extra money and getting a good brand of decoder ready or decoder installed engine.  Bachmann makes some really fine steam and diesel with decoder installed.   

Most of my decoder installed engines I found on line for under $100.00.

Ken Price
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

simkon

Actually I just realized this is an N scale set...

That being the case, it would strongly advise you against adding DCC because too many things can go wrong especially since the loco isn't DCC ready and it is pretty easy to make a mistake or have an issue with a DCC-ready engine let alone one not intended for DCC. If you want a DCC equipped N scale diesel loco, you can purchase a DCC-Equipped GE 44 Ton Switcher, DCC Equipped EMD DD40AX Centennial, or DCC Equipped HHP-8. If you want to add the DCC yourself then you can get a GE Dash 8-40C. If you want a DCC steam loco there are several good choices: DCC-Equipped Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation, DCC Equipped C&O® H-4 2-6-6-2 Articulated Locomotive w/Vandy VC12 Tender, and the DCC-Equipped USRA 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain. For N scale, it is usually best to go with a DCC-equipped loco or DCC ready loco and get some experience before trying to install DCC in a non-DCC ready N scale loco.

Ken G Price

As my two gp40's are also N-Scale, I highly agree with simkon. So much better the simkon  way.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/