News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Sound and Smoke on 0-6-0 switcher

Started by ebtaylor, November 16, 2010, 11:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtaylor

I am looking to purchase one of your HO Switchers (UP 060 w/DCC).  Is there an option to add sound and smoke to that unit?  It is small but hopefully possible.

simkon

There is not an option for factory installed sound. If you want sound in the loco you would need to wire the tender for all wheel pick-up as sound decoders are more finicky about pick-up and then install the sound decoder in the tender and you would want to remove the original decoder that is in the locomotive. There is not any space for a speaker in the loco, but if you are creative and have the right tools you can make sufficient room in the tender, or use a different tender with more room like a Spectrum tender.

WTierce1

I don't think the decoder is in the tender in an 0-6-0.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

simkon

richg

I have put a SoundTraxx DSD090LC decoder I had hanging around and 14mm x 25mm speaker into the Vanderbilt tender that comes with an old 0-6-0 I gave away sometime ago.  I did add all wheel pickup and added a bunch of lead shot to replace the original weights. Very tight fit. You will need some install experience to do this and know how to solder.
I run this loco with a Mantua 0-6-0 that has a can motor with a DZ125 decoder in the loco.
The sound is reasonable enough for me.
The decoder is slightly larger than the SoundTraxx Tsunami Micro but remember, the Tsunami Micro is $110.00. You "might" find an older LC decoder around on ebay.

I will never attempt smoke. Do not need the residue that does cause issues on layouts.

Rich