News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thunder bolt express Large scale

Started by ncdirtwheeler, November 17, 2010, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncdirtwheeler

I recently was cleaning out my parents garage and found this train set still in box and was told its probably 20 years old can anyone validate that for me the item number on box is 90011 and it works great also is it a collector peice they said it was my train when i was a child any info would be great thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi ncdirtwheeler,

Your Thunderbolt Express was the first electrically powered set put out by Bachmann.  It was first released in 1989 and remained in the catalog until 1992.

While this was a nice set and a great value for its day, the Locomotive #49 was equipped with the version 2 chassis and gearbox which did not last long under normal use.   Ther were quite a few made and sold as the set got wide publicity!!  "Any Bigger and you mwould need a ticket"

Although it is not a collectors set, I have seen it sold on Ebay for as much as $210 if still new inthe box qand the box is in good shape and still sealed.  A check of my records shows the lowest price I saw it sell for on Ebay was $56. 

The original MSRP in 1989 was $240, but the street price was as low as $125 brand new.

If you are are into trains, keep it well lubricated, run it easy, and you should get some good service out of it.

The latest Bachmann Train Sets have a great mechanism and chassis and run very smoothly, and remain a great value!!

Enjoy it.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Sleeping Bear

I knew Bill would be the man for this so I kept quiet....MY TURN..... ;D. if you go to the following http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html, there you will find tips for up grading and prolonging the life of your gen 2 chassis, that is...IF you want to run it and not just turn it over, but then the improvement might bring a few extra dollars from someone that knows what their looking at, but I'd keep it. I have a gen 2, 3, and 5 chassis and I think my gen 2 runs better than my gen 3, at least for the moment. Another option is look up Berry of Berry's Big Trains, his drive units are great. I would be surprised if he doesn't chime in on this. All things being what they are...... it's your set .......do as you wish, just have fun regardless.                  Later all.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

ncdirtwheeler

thanks for the info i am planing on keeping it maybe run it around my basement i am pleased to know that it was the first electric set ill keep it for 20 more years and give it to my grandkids if it still works thanks again.

az2rail

Hi. I'm with you one this, keep it. It may not be collectable, but the fact that it is Bachmann's first electric G gauge set, does make it special.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Sleeping Bear

Great idea on the hand-me-down man. if you want to make sure it will still be running go check out Berry's drives at http://www.barrysbigtrains.com/Home/tabid/368/Default.aspx with one of these it will most likely be running. Check out the gallery and watch the videos.... pretty impressive I think........later all....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Doneldon

dirty-

az2 is right about that set being special but, let's face it, it's not just special because it was Bachmann's first large scale set; it's also special because, darn it, those big trains are FUN!
                                                                                                                 -- D