Mixing track and 15 inch turns

Started by vidguy069, November 22, 2010, 09:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidguy069

Long story short, I'm redoing the layout again. As part of the remake. I had a double track swing bridge that I got off of eBay. That track is code 83, I know that Bachmann is code 100. What are the dangers, if any, in mixing codes.

The other part is, in order to gain more layout room. I had to do two things. First and most important good wife's approval.  ;D  Secondly rearrange the tables in the room.  Anyway, I want to know what is the largest loco they can handle a 15 inch curve. The 3 locos. I have are 2 Bachmann diesels measuring 7.5 inches and an Anthern (sp) diesel measuring 7 inches. All 3 locos have 2 trucks and 2 axles per truck.

Thank you to one and all, as well as to all and one.  :D

vidguy069

jonathan

vidguy

1.  One can mix code 83 and code 100 track without too much difficulty.  It's simply a matter of building up the roadbed so the railheads line up smoothly.  There are rail joiners available to connect 83 to 100, but I usually just loosen up the rail joiners a bit so the two codes will line up nicely.  This is a joint where solder is very useful to keep the current flowing well.

2.  On diesels my GP35s, and anything smaller, will negotiate 15" radius curves, as long as the rolling stock is 40 scale feet or less.  Usually, 6 axle diesels don't like tight radii.  My H16-44s will turn through the curve with no problem. Some steamers will negotiate small radii as well.  My 2-8-0s will do it, but I don't make a habit of it.  My 4-4-0s, 0-8-0, 0-6-0t and 0-4-0t will go through a 15" radius curve with no problems.

Regards,

Jonathan

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jonathan on November 22, 2010, 10:13:26 AM
vidguy

2.  On diesels my GP35s, and anything smaller, will negotiate 15" radius curves, as long as the rolling stock is 40 scale feet or less.  Usually, 6 axle diesels don't like tight radii.  My H16-44s will turn through the curve with no problem. Some steamers will negotiate small radii as well.  My 2-8-0s will do it, but I don't make a habit of it.  My 4-4-0s, 0-8-0, 0-6-0t and 0-4-0t will go through a 15" radius curve with no problems.

Regards,

Jonathan

This is more or less my experience, too, though I'm bit surprised an 0-8-0 can handle the radius. Also add to the list an 0-4-0 with a conventional tender. My ten-wheelers do NOT like the small radius.

JBJ

ebtnut

Radius tolerance is comprised of several factors - fixed wheelbase length, truck turning clearance, and mechanism flexibility.  Let's take the 0-8-0 as an example.  With drivers size around 52", the fixed wheelbase is pretty short.  The 2-8-0, with drivers around 62", has a longer wheelbase.  Now, Bachmann's models have some degree of "flex" in the mechanism, allowing them to go around fairly tight curves.  A brass 2-8-0 might have closer tolerances and not even go around an 18" curve.  Some models (and protoytpes) deal with this by having some of the drivers flangeless. 

Truck swing is usually the issue with diesels.  Most six-axle truck diesels aren't fond of tight curves.  As a corrolary, most six-axle diesels have a longer wheelbase as well, which adds to the problem.  If you're going to use 15" curves, you really need to stick to small steam power and smaller diesels such as F-units, early Geeps, and switchers. 

jward

i would strongly advise against the use of 15" radius period. it has been my experience that wherever 15s are used on an operating model railroad, there is bound to be trouble. in addition to problems with truck swing, there are also coupler swing issues, and the probability of derailments is also much higher due to the wheel flanges riding the rail at a sharper angle than other radii.

the only place i'd use 15 or sharper curves would be a trolley line where the cars run single and are designed for sharp turns.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA