News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DPDT/Program Track Wiring

Started by Keusink, November 22, 2010, 02:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

Hello All
I'm setting up a service programming track w/ a PBT-100, per Alan Gartner site. Problem is, he doesn't show whether the DPDT has crossed kitty corner wires, only the input and output wiring. Can someone tell me whether that DPDT should have the kitty corner wiring?

Also, I have bought some estate locos, most w/ MRC decoders, some are Bachmann spectrum w/ sound and DCC, and I don't know their addresses. I just acquired the Digitrax Super Empire Builder, but I'm darned if I can figure out the steps to reprogram lost addresses from the manual. Can anybody walk me through it in plain English?  Especially crossing digitrax w/ MRC?

Chris

Tim

Cris

The dpdt switch is to prevent connecting the PTB100 output to track power.

The switch is wired straight through, not crossed as a reversing switch.

You should use a center off switch, to be safe.

Tim L. Anders
Souderton, PA

RAM

for the unkown address.  I would try the locomtive number

Keusink

Gentlemen, thank you

Fortunately, the estate locos came with their original manuals and are dcc/sound on the important locos. Probably can ID the decoder type from the manuals. The locos are spectrums and proto 2000's, and appear to have been originally purchased since 2005. All steam.

I've printed out the replies and cross references and will try to use them within the next few weeks.

I'll monitor this post for a few weeks just in case anyone else weighs in with thoughts. Again, thank you. No one to ask or demonstrate/ Oregon South Coast. This will all have to be book learnin'.

I'll try existing loco numbers before going the reprogram route

Chris

jward

if the locomotives are new you might try the factory default address 03.

one problem you will have with the empire builder is that, unlike other digitrax systems you can't read back the values of the cvs. you can't put the loco on the programming track and read back the address the way i can with my zephyr.

if all else fails, you could try a factory defaut reset. my digitrax decoder manual says to set cv 8 to 129. this shoudl revert the loco address to 03....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

OldTimer

You don't need to know the existing address for the locomotive.  Simply program it to whatever you want it to be...typically the road number.  In my manual, instructions for programming the address start on page 68 (sec 15.2).  If you have the newer version with the DT402 throttle, instructions begin on page 53.  Here's a synopsis:
1.  Plug your throttle into LocoNet.
2.  Make sure ONLY the loco you want to program is on the programming track.
3.  Press the PROG key until Pg (paged mode) appears in the middle of the bottom line of the display
4.  After a few seconds Ad2 = ??? (two digit address) will appear in the display. If Ad2 = ??? does not appear, turn the left throttle knob counter clockwise until it does.  You can then toggle between two and four digit addresses (Ad2 = ??? / Ad4 = ???) by pressing down on the right throttle knob.
5.  Use the key pad to enter the address you want.  Two digit addresses range from 01 to 127 (it's a hex thing).
6.  Press enter.
7.  If you're programming a four digit address, the system will offer to make a change to CV29...just press the Y key.
8.  Press Exit to return to normal operation.
Hope this helps.  Happy Thanksgiving!
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.