News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pine Sol

Started by Paul M., February 18, 2007, 09:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

Will Pine Sol eat away at Plasticville models? I need to remove some paint and I've heard Pine-Sol usually works...  ???

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Guilford Guy

soak it in alchohol for 30minues then use a toothbrush, pine sol will soften the plastic alchohol doesnt.
Alex

JM

Several times I've seen folks say that brake fluid works well to strip paint from rolling stock....I've never tried it so I can't say yes or no that it works.
   I've also been told that Castrol Super Clean works also, it's availible in the automotive section of WalMart or a auto parts store...again, I've never tried it so I can't say if it does, in fact, work.
  But, I do know this, NEVER use paint thinner\laquer thinner or any petroleum based products on plastic.

Guilford Guy

brake fluid has the same affects as pine sol, stick to regular 70% or 90% isopropyl Alcohol
Alex

traindude109

Thats what I use also Alex. Works very well.
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

ole

I too use 90% isopropyl alcohol as a first step. If that doesn't work, then I will go to pine sol. There are also some commercially available paint removers. Polly S had one that worked very well for me but it was pricey and I haven't seen it for some time. If you do use pine sol, be very careful to clean the object well so that there isn't any smell left or your new paint job will be ruined (voice of experience).
90% isopropyl alcohol  works very quickly on all my recent Bachmann products. But it also destroyed a 1950's vintage AF tank car; now it is part of a wreck/junk yard. Don't use brake fluid as it can take out the component that holds the plastic together. All of a sudden, the plastic crumbles and disintegrates; I destroyed a number of N scale cars that way.
Lee
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

Bill Baker

I read on the old forum that some guy was pushing break fluid as a great styrene cleaner.  Later it was reported that this guy had a grudge against model builders and was merely trying to sabotage their models.  This not only included model railroad cars but model airplanes and model automobiles.
Bill

ben_not_benny

Quote from: Bill Baker on February 21, 2007, 04:25:49 PM
I read on the old forum that some guy was pushing break fluid as a great styrene cleaner.  Later it was reported that this guy had a grudge against model builders and was merely trying to sabotage their models.  This not only included model railroad cars but model airplanes and model automobiles.

Brake fluid destroys styrene, never use it.

Paul M.

Thanks, everybody. I'll use the alcohol. ;D

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

WoundedBear

Best thing I have ever used for paint stripper is good old fashioned Easy-Off brand oven cleaner. It has never eaten plastic or resin or metal on me......strips kit plating away in a heartbeat too (for you car guys).

I have left parts soak overnight to loosen stubborn laquers and still have never had it attack the plastic. Just make sure your work area is well ventilated....the fumes are nasty.

BTW....the "low-fume" version doesn't work half as well as the original formula.

Sid

sully14

Hello all. New member to the forums here, and wanted to try to add to this discussion. I also build model cars and aircraft, and have stripped quite a bit of paint. Usually use 90% alcohol, or Super Clean. Have also used Easy Off. With the latter 2, be sure to wear gloves. The Super Clean will definitely dry out your hands. The Poly S product is called Easy Lift Off. Have never used it, but agree that it is pricey. Sully. And for what it is worth, Easy Off is NOT the same as BBQ grill cleaner. Had a GP40 shell melt down in my hands before I could get it cleaned off!

The Great Destroyer

Thanks for the heads up.I was going to use air brush thinner!
"That moble suit is too much for any one man to handle,if he could,he would be superior to the entire human race."

br549

A product sold by Walther's called "Chameleon" comes in two different forms liquid and gel . The liquid is for the "modern" plastics  and the Gel is designed for the older styles of plastics such as pre-war Lionel. As it will not harm the softer plastics but remove paint. I swear by the products.
Sure some of the cleaners out like pine sol, Amway's heavy duty degreaser, and that purple power stuff works as for brake fluid too, But why take the chance to ruin a kit? That stuff may not melt the plastic but can "Etch" the surface to ruin it as well.  Just my thoughts from my own experience's. ;)

ole

My latest project involved a diecast metal 1/43 tanker that I needed to turn into a Texaco truck. Isopropyl alcohol took off the lettering from the body and cab with about a day of soaking; it was so particular that I was able to proceed to reletter the tank body without a repaint. But I had to strip the cab to bare metal to change colors; after soaking in pine sol for about 4 days, about half of the paint came off with heavy scrubbing. Finally, I gave up and used good old paint remover to get down to bare metal. Good thing this truck was metal.
Lee
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

br549

Quote from: br549 on April 19, 2007, 10:01:28 AM
A product sold by Walther's called"Chameleon" comes in two different forms liquid and gel . The liquid is for the "modern" plastics  and the Gel is designed for the older styles of plastics such as pre-war Lionel. As it will not harm the softer plastics but remove paint. I swear by the products.
Enter Walthers MFG code #359 http://www.walthers.com