News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas layout

Started by soo300, November 23, 2010, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bach-man

Dear Fighter,
Take a look at the step-by-step layout photos I've posted. I'll bet there's not a single step that you couldn't do. Take it a step at a time and your layout will look just as nice. Try it- you'll surprise even yourself!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

fighter4luv

Quote from: the Bach-man on November 27, 2010, 10:12:16 PM
Dear Fighter,
Take a look at the step-by-step layout photos I've posted. I'll bet there's not a single step that you couldn't do. Take it a step at a time and your layout will look just as nice. Try it- you'll surprise even yourself!
Have fun!
the Bach-man
I did go through the step by step photos. Since I'm just starting out, I know nothing about the mechanics of model trains... so far I just know I need to have the transformer plugged into the track to get em to move :P

Other than that, I don't have any types of tools to do any cutting of materials or stuff like that. It looks like it would take a lot of money to get it looking so awesome :)

SodorAdventures

Quote from: fighter4luv on November 28, 2010, 02:44:00 AM
Dear Fighter,
Have fun!
the Bach-man
I did go through the step by step photos. Since I'm just starting out, I know nothing about the mechanics of model trains... so far I just know I need to have the transformer plugged into the track to get em to move :P

Other than that, I don't have any types of tools to do any cutting of materials or stuff like that. It looks like it would take a lot of money to get it looking so awesome :)

Understandable, same here, mine took 3, 4 years to build, but it was worth it in the end.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

PerfectPercy

Quote from: SodorAdventures on November 28, 2010, 09:24:09 AM
Quote from: fighter4luv on November 28, 2010, 02:44:00 AM
Dear Fighter,
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Understandable, same here, mine took 3, 4 years to build, but it was worth it in the end.

My layout is at least 2 years old and the track isn't even completely laid yet. I'm taking my time because it is worth it in the end - just as SodorAdventures said. It is really fun, especially a freelanced layout. Personally, I wouldn't want to make a duplicate of Bachmann's layout.

If you want to make a layout, even if it is just track, all you need to know is that one wire is positive and one is neutral/ground. (There is no "true" negative.) Positive goes into one rail, and ground goes into the other. The engine completes the circuit that the rails combined with the transformer are attempting to make. Voila! You just learned the basics of wiring a model railroad.

Using E-Z track is even "E-Z-er" (applause for the pun), but it's all your choice. I personally prefer no roadbed attached to the rails so I go with the classic stuff.

As the Bach-man always says: "Have fun!"

napa15

Fighter,

I am in the process of building the Sodor Layout that The Bachmann posted pictures of. I asked a lot of questions here early on and had some great help. It was somewhat difficult to determine exactly what track I needed and how much from the pictures posted. But eventually I got it all figured out. I have the lower level track laid and raised and wired, and most of the second/middle level. I am really taking my time with it, but mostly due to money constraints. I would be happy to share the layout plans with you, that tells exactly what pieces and how much track for each level. I also have a photo album of my progress, which I need to update. I am not building it exactly as The Bachmann did, but making my own tweaks to suit the needs/desires of myself and my son. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll post the info I have.

Anthony P2

please show us. we would love to see photos of your layout.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: Anthony P2 on December 02, 2010, 08:37:25 PM
please show us. we would love to see photos of your layout.

Yea, Show us your WIP layout.

fighter4luv

Quote from: napa15 on December 02, 2010, 06:00:19 PMI would be happy to share the layout plans with you
Seeing the photos would be awesome, but I'd rather just make random track areas resembling ones from the show... or even locations from my city. I'm more than a few years away from having it set up... for now it will just be basic tracks and trains running on it :)

I just set up a random track today, and very disappointed. Only the large engines can make it up the hill.... and whenever any engine runs over a turnout track area, it loses connection with the tracks and derails - even if it's running at super slow speeds :( am I doing something wrong?

PerfectPercy

Is it just set up on the floor or are the tracks attached to something? The tracks could be sliding apart as the engines go in certain directions over it. As there is some kind of friction, the tracks want to move with the engine, at least somewhat. Correct me If I'm wrong, but if you either aren't using something comparable to E-Z track and it isn't fixed to your surface, then you may run into problems.

As for the hill, I've had problems building my hills on my layout. If you go over a 3% grade, you will have problems no matter what you do because even by adding weight to engines, you can't add too much. I have just about a 3% grade and James was the only one that needed weight added to him so he could pull 3 coaches (at least I recall). Spencer, Gordon, and Henry by themselves each had a record of 6 coaches. That was the max. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if it is the climate. :P Another note is if you have curves on your hills, then the tighter they get, the more difficult it is to move up the hill. I have 26" and 24" curves on my one hill with the track laid. I hope I can do the same with the other  :-\.

Good luck

napa15

As promised, I have updated my photo album with the latest pictures I have. I am going to provide a link to my Picasa photo site, because I have no desire to try and post a bunch of picture links in this message. :) The link will take you to my Sodor Island Progress page. Most images have a description that gives information of what was going on at that stage. You'll see I chose to make the basic layout almost the same as The Bachmann's. I did change the dock side end to a yard area. My reason for deciding this was because the project has been rather expensive just to get to this point (which is why it has progressed slowly), and there are a lot of details in the dock side area on The Bachmann's layout which would significantly increase the costs. So, it will be a small yard area that will be much more cost effective, while still serving a purpose. This is all trial and error on my part. I could have chosen to do a lot of it differently, but I chose not to on purpose. I do have plans to change some of it later on to suit my own desires though.

Stay tuned....  :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/NAPA15/HOThomasSodorIslandLayout?feat=directlink

fighter4luv

Here's a video I made of Gordon running on my current setup. Planning on adding some more tracks to it when I buy some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MvCzVQ8L8

SodorAdventures

Quote from: fighter4luv on December 06, 2010, 04:12:07 PM
Here's a video I made of Gordon running on my current setup. Planning on adding some more tracks to it when I buy some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6MvCzVQ8L8

I checked out the video and pictures. Truly awesome. I think your setup is very, very awesome. Glad to see the children helping ;)

Enjoy the ride.  ;)

fighter4luv

SodorAdventures

Quote from: fighter4luv on December 08, 2010, 06:06:34 AM
Quote from: SodorAdventures on December 06, 2010, 06:12:28 PMGlad to see the children helping ;)
What's that supposed to mean? :P

In your album, there were pictures of your children helping you.  ???

fighter4luv

Quote from: SodorAdventures on December 08, 2010, 07:09:56 AM
Quote from: fighter4luv on December 08, 2010, 06:06:34 AM
Quote from: SodorAdventures on December 06, 2010, 06:12:28 PMGlad to see the children helping ;)
What's that supposed to mean? :P

In your album, there were pictures of your children helping you.  ???
Oh, you're getting me confused with that guy who did the Sodor set lol. All I have uploaded is my Gordon video :P I don't have kids... I'm the kid in the house lol