News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas layout

Started by soo300, November 23, 2010, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

napa15

His comment "Glad to see the children helping" was in response to me, as I posted the pictures of my Sodor layout.. and it has a few pics of my children... helping. :) I shot some video last night of 4 trains running at once on it. I finally got my inner loop on the middle level complete. I also bought a few tunnel portals yesterday so I might start facing up the tunnel/mountain side areas some day soon. :)

I'll try and get a link to the video posted soon.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: fighter4luv on December 08, 2010, 07:19:26 AM
Quote from: SodorAdventures on December 08, 2010, 07:09:56 AM
Quote from: fighter4luv on December 08, 2010, 06:06:34 AM
Quote from: SodorAdventures on December 06, 2010, 06:12:28 PMGlad to see the children helping ;)
What's that supposed to mean? :P

In your album, there were pictures of your children helping you.  ???
Oh, you're getting me confused with that guy who did the Sodor set lol. All I have uploaded is my Gordon video :P I don't have kids... I'm the kid in the house lol

Yea, sorry for the confusion, and lol about you quote "Im the kid in the house."
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

PerfectPercy

Quote from: napa15 on December 06, 2010, 04:00:02 PM
As promised, I have updated my photo album with the latest pictures I have. I am going to provide a link to my Picasa photo site, because I have no desire to try and post a bunch of picture links in this message. :) The link will take you to my Sodor Island Progress page. Most images have a description that gives information of what was going on at that stage. You'll see I chose to make the basic layout almost the same as The Bachmann's. I did change the dock side end to a yard area. My reason for deciding this was because the project has been rather expensive just to get to this point (which is why it has progressed slowly), and there are a lot of details in the dock side area on The Bachmann's layout which would significantly increase the costs. So, it will be a small yard area that will be much more cost effective, while still serving a purpose. This is all trial and error on my part. I could have chosen to do a lot of it differently, but I chose not to on purpose. I do have plans to change some of it later on to suit my own desires though.

Stay tuned....  :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/NAPA15/HOThomasSodorIslandLayout?feat=directlink

Hey, nice job with the recreation of the Bachmann's layout. You are doing fine with progress. Don't stress yourself. At least you have a loop to run trains on. Mine is half way through with problems having arisen.  ::)

Question, where did you get that rolling gantry crane (or the crane that isn't Cranky), and what is it called (brand/item name, etc.)?

Good luck. It looks great so far. ;) :)

The Chaz Storm

An incredible start.  Can't wait to see the layout when finished. :)

fighter4luv

So no one liked my awesome filming and editing skills? :P

napa15

PerfectPercy,

I got the crane from my local hobby store (I just happened to see it there, and it is the exact same one the Bachmann used in his layout).

This is it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MODEL-POWER-HO-SCALE-RAIL-CRANE-CONSTRUCTION-KIT-NIP-NR-/120654638298?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c1793acda

SodorAdventures

Quote from: fighter4luv on December 09, 2010, 07:30:19 AM
So no one liked my awesome filming and editing skills? :P

Yours too, Is coming Along Well

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Looks great!
I'm very impressed!
the Bach-man

PerfectPercy

Quote from: napa15 on December 09, 2010, 04:56:17 PM
PerfectPercy,

I got the crane from my local hobby store (I just happened to see it there, and it is the exact same one the Bachmann used in his layout).

This is it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MODEL-POWER-HO-SCALE-RAIL-CRANE-CONSTRUCTION-KIT-NIP-NR-/120654638298?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c1793acda

Thanks. I appreciate it. Thank the mighty lord that you painted the cabin brown instead of that hideous orange! ::) :P Looks better with the lick of paint.

napa15

Thanks for the remarks everyone. Honestly, it's just fun. I have uploaded a brief video that shows trains running on the layout. Nothing spectacular, and you can hear the kids playing in the background. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdXyLyEOXPs

The Chaz Storm

Not bad at all.  Love the American stuff you got running around there too. :) 

Keep up the good work.

alex wittman

hello all,

I believe this is a topic on a thomas layout, but after looking through some old Model RailRoader magazines, I got inspired to build a 2.5X6.5 ft layout of the rev. awdrys layout, Ffarquhar. but I plan to do some modifications, his Quarry staging goes under a signal bridge, and I will use stone paper and foam pieces to create the stone wall going out of Ffarquhar. and since I live in america, use of altas code 100 track necessary because 1. they have great and affordable flex track. and 2. I don't have the money to spend on Peco track. but all in all its just an american replica of his layout because kids would like to see thomas and see his branchline station. I will post Pictures on my photobucket account and see how you guys like it.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: alex wittman on December 10, 2010, 06:10:56 PM
hello all,

I believe this is a topic on a thomas layout, but after looking through some old Model RailRoader magazines, I got inspired to build a 2.5X6.5 ft layout of the rev. awdrys layout, Ffarquhar. but I plan to do some modifications, his Quarry staging goes under a signal bridge, and I will use stone paper and foam pieces to create the stone wall going out of Ffarquhar. and since I live in america, use of altas code 100 track necessary because 1. they have great and affordable flex track. and 2. I don't have the money to spend on Peco track. but all in all its just an american replica of his layout because kids would like to see thomas and see his branchline station. I will post Pictures on my photobucket account and see how you guys like it.

Awesomness. Cant wait. BTW, Napa your set is coming out great.

fighter4luv

Has anyone created a detailed layout of the tracks on the island of sodor? Would love to see exactly how they had it all setup on the show.

Cheeky_ULP

The show used large set ups that were on wheeled tables within a studio. All of the scenery tended to be very "temporary" and each set had to be redone every season.
These photos are from Season 4, if I recall. Not sure of the source, but they were in my Photobucket.