News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin 4-6-0 Bachmann 514.. series

Started by charlii, November 23, 2010, 03:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franz T

Just got an email from Pete at BLW confirming shipment of my pre-order...

Roger Perkins

:)Well, I unpacked by AF Pacific and set up a loop of track; been reliving my childhood when I got the set for Christmas about 60 years ago.
I think it is about 1951 vintage.

jmlaboda

Well, since you  have been less than helpful so far Bach-man let me ask you this.  What does the ads mean when they say "separate domes and stack".  Does it mean that the stack and domes can be took off the model?  Sure would be a bit of a waste of electrons and typing if this is all that is meant.
jerry

Passenger Car Photo Index - ITS HUGE!!! 10,672 links added 2 August 2015!!!
The T1 Trust - building a NEW 1:1 scale PRR T1 one part at a time.

robderebel

:)
Hello Bachmann,
  I have to say, you guys are doing some very nice work lately.  I do like the trolley, the 70 tonner, and the GP7.  The 4 6 0 is certainly nice to have. 

I do think however, (*and this is a constructive criticism) that you could of made a different choice on the 4 6 0.

Given that you were intent on using available tenders I would of changed the the prototype to a later more modern 4 6 0.   New York Central had some 4 6 0's that had
modern appliances, a high boiler that would of fitted the tender you currently used much better.
On top of that you would of had more room for motor and flywheel.   

The resultant change would have represented a much more common prototype and balance well with the tender you have chosen to use. 
  Since most of sales of these were (probably) intended for adults, the locomotive and tender (with its more homogenized appearance) would have made a more attractive combination than the current prototype you chose to use.
  I submit the above based on what I believe is most modeled steam era today, and that is the transitition era (late 40's to late 50's) when steam was still around.

Granted the prototype you used might have been around up until then, the I believe the more modernized 4 6 0 would of been more appropriate, and matched the tender you chose to use.

Hats off to the crews for doing reasonably great on all the new issues.   If I had any other concerns, its the lack of using the latest electrical pickup methodologies vice the wipers as used on the GP's and trolley, and the 44 tonner.   Experience shows cone axle electrical pickup is more reliable,  less sensitive to dirt and friction free.

Rob Anchorage, Ak

tweetsieengineer

I have been looking for more info on this engine. I found this link to someone that is doing a review on it.

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/loco/spec460.html

Turns out the engine and tender are wire together instead of the plug that is used on the 2-8-0's.  The only way to separate them is to unsolder the engine from the decoder.
Tim Smith,

Roger Perkins

???
I am puzzled by the lack of comment from the Bachmann people on this engine, and also puzzled that I have not seen any ads for it online or by online e-tailers.

charlii

Read in review article http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/loco/spec460.html
that the Bachmann 4-6-0 is supposively copied from the Maryland & Pennsylvania #28.  If so the bell is placed at the wrong place. Should be between steam dome and steam generator insted of steam dome and sand dome. Other then this discrepancy model is very close to Ma & Pa #28. Sorry can't say same for tender.
Bachmann don't take my criticism wrong, I very much appreciate your making this model. I have two and am planning on purchasing two more. Thanks!

Roger Perkins

I have been following the comments on this locomotive on another forum; it is now "13 pages long."  One of the primary contributers is the person who uses the spookshow pseudonym.  I was very eager for this engine to be released, however now after reading all of the problems that individuals on that forum have identified, I am very skeptical about buying one.