News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New On30 layout questions

Started by twsp, November 24, 2010, 09:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twsp

Greetings,

I'm thinking of starting my On30 layout.  I've collected several Bachmann locos and some rolling stock for this, and my space will be roughly 4x4 feet.  The locos I have are the Bachmann 2-6-0, Bachmann T-boiler, Bacnmann 0-4-0 diesel and a Bachmann 2-8-0.  This layout would be mostly using mining cars and various other Bachmann freight cars.

What's the minimum radius that these trains can utilize?

And what brand track do people find the best for a "realistic" narrow gauge look?  Normal HO track seems a little strange for this scale.

Thanks!

mabloodhound

twsp,

Radius depends on what loco's you plan on running.   There have been hundreds of posts here regarding that.
As to track brand, that is kind of a personal preference.   I didn't like the tie spacing of the On30 track so decided to use HO Atlas Code 83.   To my eye it looks good, even though the ties are short.   And it is less expensive!
Others prefer the larger tie spacing of ME or Peco On30 track.   As I said, it's personal and as everyone will tell you, it's your railroad, do what looks good to you.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ChrisS

that 2-8-0 isnt going to like 15" curves very well

ebtnut

Stick with 18" radius curves anywhere you plan to run the 2-8-0, and probably the 2-6-0 as well.  The issue primarily is the pilot truck swing.  I think the Shay might do 15" curves, if drive train doesn't come apart on an outside curve. 

twsp

Thanks to all for the replies.  As I haven't messed with layouts for a long time, I was just curious about the radius.  Hadn't prowled the forum much when I wrote that post.  18"minimum seems the game to be safe.  If I can come up with a bigger space, that'll help. 

As for track, I like the Code 83 idea, and have been looking at Atlas for the HO stuff and the Micro Engineering for the "realistic" narrow gauge stuff.  I had a huge HO layout years ago, but I really like this On30 scale, especially since the logging and mining history is what I'm really interested in.

I'll plow forward and see what I can come up with.  Thanks again for the replies!