SWITCH TRACK PUSH BUTTONS AND SWITCH TRACK DIRECTION

Started by darticus, January 05, 2011, 07:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

Is there any special way to wire the buttons so it is correct for the switch track direction it takes.
When all the push buttons are to the left this is the directions the switches go.

Franz T

It looks like you are using Atlas track so I am assuming you are also using the Atlas controllers. If that is the case, simply swap the red and green wires on those controllers where the buttons have the "wrong" switch track direction.
I use SPST Momentary On toggle switches (specifically Gardner Bender #GSW-117) mounted in the fascia board with the "up' position of the switch indicating "normal" (i.e. "mainline")* and the "down" position indicating "reverse" (i.e. "diverging").

*note that "normal" or "mainline" is not always the straight position...

darticus

Your right I used atlas 80  track and atlas switches.
Kinda new to trains so I was thinking maybe the switch track switch buttons should be to the left for the direction of the main line travel and to the right setting for off main track direction. How do you know as the train travels how the switches are set without running around the layout and looking before the train gets there. Is this a memory thing( bad idea). Ron

Quote from: Franz T on January 06, 2011, 09:34:35 AM
It looks like you are using Atlas track so I am assuming you are also using the Atlas controllers. If that is the case, simply swap the red and green wires on those controllers where the buttons have the "wrong" switch track direction.
I use SPST Momentary On toggle switches (specifically Gardner Bender #GSW-117) mounted in the fascia board with the "up' position of the switch indicating "normal" (i.e. "mainline")* and the "down" position indicating "reverse" (i.e. "diverging").

*note that "normal" or "mainline" is not always the straight position...

Franz T

Not a memory thing at all. If you use the Atlas controller, the little button stays either left or right after you actuate the switch, giving you visual indication (if you decided that left is for mainline and right is for diverging, just swap the red and green wire on any controller where the left position sets the switch for the diverging route). In my case, since the bat handle switches are spring loaded and always stay in the center position, I simply tap the handle up as the train approaches the junction if I want it to continue on the mainline or down if I want it to take the diverging route. (I used a Brother P-Touch labeler to label all my switch controllers on the fascia board as well as the on/off toggles for track power on the sidings) You could install LED's for positive feedback, but hat is too much wiring for me to bother with...