Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Going to New York - any good store ?

Started by duddy09, November 24, 2010, 03:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duddy09

Hello !

I'm going to New York, december 20.

Any good store there ? ( not an "internet store !!!"  ) .

I intend to buy some Atlas flex tracks , some Woodland Scenics material , DPM buildings and ...the new Bachmann 4-6-0 !!! ( hope Santa Klaus can  bring them before 24/12 ... )

Thanks,

Luiz

johnTom

This depends on which part of NY State you're going ?
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

duddy09

New York city, 111 east 48 th street - close to 5th avenue !

dtpowell

Ill give it a try...I'm from Cincinnati, but still...You might try The Red Caboose. 23 W 45th St New York, NY 10036 (212) 575-0155
They're in Manhattan too. I've used Trainworld in Brooklyn and out on Long Island for many years. Only direct contact I've had with them was at a Greenburg show at Hofstra University a few years ago. I believe both locations are accessible by subway or Long Island RR
The only hobby shop I've actually been to was Polk's Hobby's. 1 block South of the Empire State Building. That was a very long time ago.
They may still be there. Trains was on the Fourth floor I think.  You might call the Red Caboose before you go too. I kinda remember they may be on an upper floor of their building. I vaguely remember walking down the street and looking up a a hobby shop one day.
Sounds like a great time to me. I'm sorta envious...Enjoy your stay and Merry Christmas.  ;D

dtpowell

Luiz,

Looks like you're in luck. I just found out you'll be in walking distance to the "Red Caboose." It's a half mile from where your staying.
Walk out your door make a left turn on Park Ave (1/2 Block) Walk 3 blocks to turn right 45th Street. Walk another 3 or four blocks to 23 W 45 th.
Shucks not even far enough to take the Subway  :(. Of course you could take the Lexington Ave line South from 51st St to Grand Central and 42nd change trains. Head West to 5th.... :o  ::) Naw, it's easier to walk.

Franz T

Used to be another place in the basement almost directly across thw street from The Red Caboose, but I think they are closed now. Polks is also no longer there....

Joe323

I use Trainworld on Mcdonald Ave in Brooklyn all the time and I know its right off the train that passes overhead BUT since I live in Staten Island I haven't taken a real subway in years (Not counting the Staten Island Railway).

dtpowell

To get to Trainworld on McDonald Ave From 48th St. walk to the 51th Street and Lexington. Line no.6 Subway toward Brooklyn Bridge. Get off at Bleeker St and Lexington, walk to Broadway and Lafayette. Take the "F" train towards Stillwell Ave get off at Ditmas Ave. Walk downstairs and cross the street to Trainworld 751 McDonald.

duddy09

Thank you so much guys,

when I visit the two stores I''ll remember you two "with love" !

Merry Cristhmas !!!

duddy09

Returning from the storm, New York Christmas 2010.

store 1 - Manhattan - The Red Caboose

the store is a mess and it is actually impossible to find what you are searching for by yourself - it's absolutelly necessary to ask "Do you have...Where do I find ... How much "...
Prices very high , priced always after a look in the Walthers catalog ...

store 2 - Brooklyn - Trainworld
45 minutes by metro

the store is very large,  products much more organized than the first store, prices much lower than the first, too ; accepted my traveller checks... but ... I noticed that there were just 2 people for the "real public" and 8 people engaged in the virtual ,internet business !

Bought some nice products from the 2 stores ... but my 2-6-0 wasn't there ... !

Franz T

I haven't been in the Red Caboose for close to 30 years, but I can see they have not changed one bit in all that time.....

dtpowell

Thanks for the report. I haven't  been to either store. I am thingking the 45 min Subway ride might be worth it. I've done a lot of business With the Bianco's and his lovely order takers. I'd love to see the stores in Brooklyn and Long Island.