Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout

Started by mf5117, November 27, 2010, 10:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

this is the layout I am replacating . In process now

mf5117

This 9x7 ft layout is at Mike's Hobby's in Houston . It has a 4ft inner rad and a 6.5ft rad outter oval . With an Upper 4ft rad circle with a turnout mid way up the mountian . with a mine rail with hoppers .Only with a 3ft straight but it works and looks unique . If you look behind the depot there is a EMD GP-30 behind the other diesel . I questioned it running on the 4ft rad oval because I had heard that it was to small for that locomotive . I know the curves are tight ,but for size and room . It look good , he opened up the throttle and it handled it rather well . As I had never seen one run before . I haven't ran mine yet . I have the outside L shape that I run my Tweetsie set and my AC centercab on . I like this layout as it fits my space inside my home . I ordered my 30 degree crossing 3 rt hand remote switches . I already have the straight and curves already from the outdoor layout ,again went overboard on track ordering. . I came across 48 pcs of brass LGB track for $50.00 off craigslist .I'm picking up in the mourning 24 curves 12 12"straights 4 2ft straights and a 90 degree crossing with 4 6" 1/2 straights . Same guy I bought the MRC sound and power 7000 controller from . Although the layout in the top is DCC .I'm keeping it DC so I will be asking some wiring and block questions . So bare with me when I start asking .   mark f

Sleeping Bear

Sounds like a neat little lay out....watch the wheels on that geep, the flanges may start to get a little sharp. My RS-3 will run a 4 ft diameter curve, but it don't like it, so i don't make it.  Have fun.....later all S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

mf5117

I kinda figured the wheel flanges would get a little sharp . I don't plan on running the EMD GP 30 and 40 much on it . I have the Center Cab and an NW2 I'm looking for an F unit to run on this layout . I was told by a few people the Geeps wouldn't like it . If I do I will keep them on the outter 6.5ft Im going to take my time while building this one . I hurried my outside L shape . I see some things I could of done different due to rain and hummidty on the ballest . I think this spring I will raise it up about 6 "  form up the road bed and mix alittle concrete . Seems like we can't get just a steady rain anymore fast moving storms with 2 to 4 inches always .

Sleeping Bear

I cant say for usa or others f units but aristo says theirs will handel a 4 ft diameter curve, witch is weird as it uses the same motor block as the u-boat and the RS-3. Keep in mind that there is a world of after market and NOS parts to build your own loco out of a Bachmann 4-6-0, or 2-6-0 or one of them beautiful  mallet's(I want one)Build your own R.R. paint is cheap(ish), have fun with it, and keep your Diesels on at least a 5 ft diameter curve. .....Later all ....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Garry1947

G'day mf5117
That is a really neat layout. I also have a limited space to build an indoor railroad, I have 12' x 8', so i need to run it over at least two levels.
Do you have a track plan you could post?
Regards
Garry

ThinkerT

This is what another person did with a small space - 9' x 18'.  Essentially a sort of 'folded inside' figure 8 with probably close toa hundred feet of mainline trackage.  Very very good job, inspiration for those confronted with tight spaces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMlWTWNsMV0

mf5117

Only pictures as of now . I hand drew the layout on a piece of paper and noted all the measurements and piece's of track . I have only used the layout software some what . The man at the Hobby shop was very helpful in giving me information . Every time I visit I'm always making sure I didn't miss something .I will post more detailed picture's . While I was there I picked up an Aristo Craft Sante Fa Long Steel Caboose lighted ,working wood burning stove "i.e smoke" detailing inside I couldn't believe it . Black Friday sale and another 10% off for $79.00 us. and a couple of single dome tank cars .