Bravo to Bachmann on the new 3 truck Climax engine

Started by jdmike, November 27, 2010, 09:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdmike

I am giving a nice Bravo to Bachmann on the beautifull new Climax engines.  Almost totaly diecast metal, drive system is as close to prototype as can be done in HO, much closer than any of the PFM brass ones I have.  But being so, it does take more upkeep than the average steam engine.  All those many bearings and gears require grease and oil to keep them turning easy for the small motor hidden in the firebox to turn.  Mine was essentialy dry as a bone and was really stiff out of the box, but after a proper backshopping for lubrication, most of this was gone.  I suspect the rest will "bed in" like a real engine with some run time.  As soon as I figure out the CV to turn the damn sound down to a level that doesnt blow the ears out, I plan to put a good solid hour in each direction pulling 1 Kaydee disconnect log car and caboose.  Just a light load to allow the gears to wear in and bearings to smooth out.   Bachmann has to be applauded for doing the trucks the way they should be done and not with just worm gears.  Any closer would need a larger model and live steam in the boiler.  Only long term will tell if Bachmann solved the gear and line shaft splitting issues, but I suspect they have upgraded the drive parts from the previous model, it only makes good business sense!   There will be duds, espicaly in a highly mechanical model with lots of moving parts.  If your mail ordering, test it right away and keep all the boxes, if buying at the LHS like I did, test it before you leave the store.   Saves grief later at home.   Time to go run some trains!     Cheers   Mike and Michele T