Switch - DCC Turnout - What is the difference.

Started by robogo, November 27, 2010, 05:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robogo

What is the difference between a Switch, as included in the "Your First Railroad Track Pack" and a DCC Turnout?

Can they both be operated by a DCC Controller, is there anything else, like a motor or solenoid, that is needed to control these turnouts?

Oh yes, I am very new to this.

simkon

The turnouts included in the track packs are non-powered/manual and would need a mechanism added and a decoder to be able to be thrown from a DCC controller like DCC turnouts.

OldTimer

The name "turnout" is used by model railroaders to avoid confusion between a track switch (turnout) and an electrical switch (switch).
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Jim Banner

The term "turnout" is also used by the track manufacturers in the full size world and the railroads who are their customers.  The term "switch" applies only to the moving parts ("points") within a turnout, together with the gear for moving those parts.  Ask a railroader working on a track crew about those giant size Atlas snap switches you see filling full size gondolas and he will call them "turnouts."  Ask a trainman how he gets the train from one track to another and he will tell you "by throwing some switches."  And both of them are correct.  But they are NOT talking about exactly the same thing.

Think of it this way.  You own an automobile.  The motor is only part of it.  A century ago, you would probably have referred to your car, the whole car, as your "motor."  Eventually, people started to use the term "motor car" for the whole thing as a way to avoid confusion.  Similarly, you will sometimes hear the term "turnout switch" used for the whole track appliance.

As part of a savvy model railroad club, you might talk about putting in a passing siding by adding one turnout here and another turnout over there.  But after the siding is in place and you are now using it, you will probably ask for someone to throw those switches.

Having said all that to explain the difference between switch and turnout, a DCC turnout is simply a turnout in which the switch can be operated via your DCC throttle.  I suppose they call a turnout a "switch" in Your First Railroad Track Pack because the term "switch" is more familiar to beginners.  But by the time people are more advanced and thinking in terms of operating their switches by DCC, they call it a "turnout."

Where's the ice pack.  I think I'm giving myself a headache!

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

robogo

Jim, I like the way you explain things, you cured some of my headaches, thank you.

simkon, so what exactly is it that I need to turn manually operated Turnouts into DCC operated turnouts. If you do not mind, please list some Brand and Model names so that I can go and search for some examples and see for myself.

simkon

It is best to use the DCC turnouts provided by Bachmann if at all possible, because adding a switch machine to the manual turnouts is not an easy task and it is time consuming and then any decoder would suffice. Unless you do not have the ability to purchase DCC turnouts, you can just sell the manual ones that you have on ebay or to a friend and replace them with the DCC turnouts should you choose to get a DCC system and want DCC turnouts.

robogo

Thank you simkon, yous on this forum are the only model railroad friends I currently have, eBay my best choice for buying and selling.

anthony_poole71

another question on turnouts... I have just installed EZ Track DCC turnouts with my Digitrax system and the turnouts are working backwards - in other words when the throttle shows thrown they are closed etc - I have programmed them separately but to no avail.. any ideas?

Thanks!

robogo

anthony_poole71, I can not answer your question but I would like to know more about your experience, in general, with your Digitrax Controller as I am considering buying one.

simkon

The current production of Bachmann turnouts all have this error. As far as I know it cannot be corrected, but aside from it being opposite there are no other issues.

anthony_poole71

I did all of that, tried manually changing the switch to thrown etc and matching it up on the DCS50, but to no avail...

mabloodhound

Quote from: Jim Banner on November 27, 2010, 10:15:56 PM
Think of it this way.  You own an automobile.  The motor is only part of it.  A century ago, you would probably have referred to your car, the whole car, as your "motor." 
Jim

Jim's advice was right on but I just couldn't resist replying to the comment above (smiles).   "Motors" are powered by electricity, "engines" are run on fuel/gasoline.   So unless your car is an electric or hybrid, it has an engine in it.   The only motor similarity is the alternator or generator.
However his "motor car" usage was a common expression way back when.
Wanna' bet this will start a discussion (smile again).
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

robogo

Wanna' bet. We also have (motor)cars in ZA, pick-ups are called bakkies (buckets), mini-busses are called taxis, they are powered by petrol engines or diesel engines. Not too many electric cars or hybrids around yet.

Doneldon

bloodhound-

I think you are correct in common usage but there really isn't a difference between the definitions of "engine" and "motor."  Both are machines used to convert energy into motion.  Some folks use the issue of whether the machine is self-contained versus connected to a power source, but that, too, is a matter of custom, not proper definition.   Using your distinction, what is a diesel-electric locomotive, engine or motor?
                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

poliss

In the UK esp. London, cars are referred to as motors. i.e. Hello John, got a new motor?
Turnouts are referred to as points. i.e The train now arriving at platform 2 was delayed because of frozen points at Clapham Junction.