News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann SD40 - DCC

Started by Phillipcossar, November 27, 2010, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillipcossar

Are there any compatibility problems with running Bachmann locomotives with Hornby controllers ?
I'm running a Bachmann SD40 with a Hornby Elite controller and am having problems with the Loco.
When running the Loco becomes unresponsive and resets itself to #3, and when it just sitting there with the controller set to 0 ie no power it starts moving on its own !

simkon

The hornby system is the issue, not the Bachmann loco, the system is not compatible with all DCC locos, it is its own digital control system. All I know is some people have had issues with Hornby systems not working with other brands sometimes.

Jim Banner

Do you have the latest firmware installed in your Hornby Elite?  I believe the latest version is 1.3.  If you do not, check the link below:
http://www.hornby.com/digital/r8214firmware/

Are your rails and wheels clean?  Are the pickup points where the inner wiring of the locomotive picks up power from the wheels clean?  Is your wiring up to snuff?  I have read reports of poor connectivity problems (loss of DCC signal somewhere between the command station and the on board decoder) causing the command station to drop (lose track of) the locomotive.

I have NOT read any reports of the Hornby Elite causing decoders to reset.  That usually happens with a faulty decoder or dirty wheels, track, etc. if it happens at all.  As far as a locomotive creeping when its speed is set to zero, that assumes the locomotive has received the command to set its speed to zero.  Some DCC systems repeat speed commands over and over to make sure the locomotives do not miss them.  Others send each speed command only once or repeat them only at long intervals to reduce the chance of locomotives receiving corrupted commands.  I do not know which philosophy the Hornby Elite follows.

The Hornby Elite is an NMRA Compliant DCC system, designed to work with NMRA Compliant DCC decoders like Bachmann's.  And tests by others report that they do work with Bachmann decoders, both sound and silent.  You have not indicated whether other locomotives perform properly under the control of your Hornby Elite or whether your SD40 works properly when run by other DCC controllers (running well on dc is not a test of how it runs on DCC.)  And lastly, you have not indicated whether your SD40 was purchased new, used, or what.

Bottom line, clean your tracks and wheels plus the pickup points where the power is picked off the wheels.  Then try again.  If the SD40 still does not run well, reset the decoder and try again (a decoder resetting itself to address 03 does not mean it has reset properly.)  Most Bachmann silent decoders reset to 28 speed steps so be sure your Hornby Elite is set for 28 speed steps after resetting the decoder. 

If none of the above cures your problems, let us know the following:
(1) how your SD40 runs on an alternate DCC system
(2) how other locomotives run on your Hornby Elite
(3) any information on the history of your SD40
Then we will be able to help you figure out just where the problem lies.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Phillipcossar

The Hornby controller I have is a Select not a Elite ( I always get the two mixed up ) There is nothing wrong with the wiring or dirty track ect, all of my other locos run fine, I have also run the Bachmann loco on a Digitrax Zephyr controller and it runs fine with no problems, the only problems i have is when using it with the Hornby controller.

simkon

The Hornby Select is not NMRA compliant, which means it only works with loco with Hornby decoders. You need to use your Zephyr DCC system if you want to run your Bachmann DCC loco.

Jim Banner

The Hornby Select DCC system, like many other DCC systems including E-Z Command, Dynamis, Digitrax, Lenz to name a few, is based on the standards set down by the NMRA (National Model Railroad Association.)    If a manufacturer feels that he has a product that complies with all the applicable NMRA standards, he may submit it to the NMRA for testing.  The NMRA may then issue a "Conformance Warrant" if they find the product conforms fully with the NMRA standards.  Bachmann E-Z Command and Bachmann decoders, for example, are compliant and Bachmann has the conformance warrants to prove it.  Digitrax, on the other hand, rarely applies for a conformance warrants event though its products are built using the NMRA standards.  Being compliant does not guarantee that any given system will work with every decoder that was every manufactured.  Nor does having a Conformance Warrant.  But to the NMRA's credit, it does make it much more likely.

Lack of compliance does not mean that a given DCC system will not work with NMRA type DCC decoders.  It does mean that it may not work with some of them.  The quirk of the Digitrax DCS50 having problems programming Lenz decoders including those sold by Bachmann is well known.  In a similar fashion, some users are having problems with their Hornby Select systems resetting decoders, even Hornby decoders, to address 03 while other users have no problem with either Hornby or Bachmann decoders.  You might like to look at this British forum for a different view on the subject.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3968&st=15&start=15

Something you might try, if you can get your hands on that Digtrax Zephyr system again, is to reset the Bachmann decoder to its original factory default settings.  Don't forget to use a 1000 ohm across the rails, as explained at this link:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,15183.msg121658.html#msg121658
I don't know if this will help but it will not hurt.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.