News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Be sure of parts and service

Started by Albert in N, November 27, 2010, 09:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert in N

Bachmann has a parts and service department that has been around a long time.  I even ordered parts from them early in the 1970s and have had no complaints then or since.  Atlas also has parts and service, but only a 90-day warranty on new locomotives.  Kato has parts available.  I note that Walthers/ LifeLike, Intermountain, Athearn, ConCor and others have no parts or service posted on their web site.  It is something to think about when you buy a new locomotive.  I have a LifeLike GP-20 and a ConCor E-8 that will eventually get tossed unless I figure out a way to repower with Bachmann or Atlas.  Both quit running and cleaning and checking the contacts does nothing.  It is a shame since the LifeLike GP-20 looks great but never ran worth a flip and now nothing.  I could repower the ConCor with Kato, but why?  Kato has a much better body shell.

simkon

I have contacted Proto2000 which is Life-Like and got parts for an HO GP-30 or 35 loco for free. They have a phone number somewhere.

bobwrgt

Proto is now Walthers call their service department and you can get parts.
Athearn has tons of parts listed on their web site and i have recently ordered a bunch. Athearn actualy has a lot more parts available then Bachmann.  You do have to call to order them.

Bob

skipgear

Quote from: bobwrgt on November 27, 2010, 10:18:25 PM
Proto is now Walthers call their service department and you can get parts.
Athearn has tons of parts listed on their web site and i have recently ordered a bunch. Athearn actualy has a lot more parts available then Bachmann.  You do have to call to order them.

Bob

Athearn has tons of parts listed for HO, none for N though. You can get parts from Athearn though. They are very helpful, just call.

Quote from: Albert in N on November 27, 2010, 09:45:18 PM
Bachmann has a parts and service department that has been around a long time.  I even ordered parts from them early in the 1970s and have had no complaints then or since.  Atlas also has parts and service, but only a 90-day warranty on new locomotives.  Kato has parts available.  I note that Walthers/ LifeLike, Intermountain, Athearn, ConCor and others have no parts or service posted on their web site.  It is something to think about when you buy a new locomotive.  I have a LifeLike GP-20 and a ConCor E-8 that will eventually get tossed unless I figure out a way to repower with Bachmann or Atlas.  Both quit running and cleaning and checking the contacts does nothing.  It is a shame since the LifeLike GP-20 looks great but never ran worth a flip and now nothing.  I could repower the ConCor with Kato, but why?  Kato has a much better body shell.

The Lifelike GP-20 was the first of the really good running loco's from them. If it is the split frame version (which I think they all are) then any Atlas motor will fit in it. You may need to swap flywheels from the Lifelike motor onto the Atlas though. Walthers parts are hit and miss. They have parts but they are very stingy with them as they keep them for their own warranty and repair needs.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950