News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

traction ring

Started by conradin, June 06, 2007, 01:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

I post here because I figure this applies to all scales....what are traction rings, and where do you put them in adn how?  If I lost it, how can I replace them?
When I dissemble one of my locos, two rubber rings came out..I think they are called traction rings, but I have no idea where they are supposed to be! ???

Stephen D. Richards

Check the wheels of your loco.  If it has a machined grove in one or more of the wheels, that is where you put the "traction tires".  If they don't have the groves, then you more than likely don't have a traction tire but some other piece of rubber ring.  If it does have a grove, then you will need to somehow expand the ring and slip it over the wheel.  You will more than likely need to remove the side frame of the truck or even disassemble the trucks completely to get to the wheel.  Who made the loco?    Stephen

conradin

Bachmann N scale diesel.

GN.2-6-8-0

In that case if it is in fact a traction tire all you will have to do is remove the shell for a bit easier access and then the truck side frame.
I'm a H.Oer myself so have to ask the members here,are traction tires fairly common on  N scale motive equipment?
Rocky Lives

conradin

I look at the diesel carefully.  On the back four wheels there are no rings.  On the front truck, one ring on the right front wheel, one on the left back wheel.
Do I presume that the two rings that I found should be for the front truck left front wheel and right back wheel?