News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help

Started by rickpell, December 16, 2010, 07:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickpell

Hi...I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.
I was recently given a Bachmann G scale train set.  It sat in a garage for I don't know how long.  The locomotive number is 49; it's a 4-6-0 AT&SF.  I just got new track and a new Bachmann power pact and speed control, enough to go around the Christmas tree.  I managed to get the train going but it is not smooth; kind of erractic stop; start; runs for a while then stops. 
I imagine that it needs some kind of maintenance; toward that extent, is there somewhere I could get a hold of some kind of operating instructions that might include a section on routine maintenance.
I have my grandchildren coming over for Christmas, and I think they would really enjoy the trains.
Thanks for any assistance.
Rick

the Bach-man

Dear Rick,
Your set needs cleaning and lubrication. Using plastic compatible lubricants like our E-Z Lubes, place grease on the gears, heavy gear oil on the axles, and light gear oil on the moving valve gear parts. Finish with a drop of conductive lube on the pickups and wheel treads.
The service department will be able to send you a CD that shows how.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

rickpell

Thank you very much for the quick reply...great customer service!
Rick

AF53

I too have the same Locomotive and was wondering if my gear grease I bought from Martys Trains for my American Flyer would work on this Locomotive. I believe the only difference is that the gears on the Bachmann are plastic. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ray

Loco Bill Canelos

Just be sure the grease you bought is plastic compatible!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!