News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Durango & Silverton - Freight

Started by James The Red Engine, November 28, 2010, 01:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James The Red Engine

Hello,
I'm planning to get one of these sets and I was wondering if anyone here could tell me a little more about it.  I would really like to hear a bit from people who have the set.

bobwrgt

Good set. I have many of the Bachmann g scale sets. They have been making them for many years. Lifetime warranty and the newer sets often get upgraded. Not the top of the line but a very good beginning for g scale.

Bob

James The Red Engine

Cool.  I was wondering as I already have the Bachmann G Scale Thomas set and I currently have the Percy set shipping. :)

Jon D. Miller

I don't have the Durango & Silverton set but do have a number of sets that contain the same Version 5 locomotive and like type cars.  All of the sets give good service with very few, if any, problems.

I think you will be pleased with this set. 8)

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2007/11/08/bachmann-10-wheelers?blog=4

Here is a link that provides some basic information on the Version 5 Big Hauler 4-6-0 locomotives.  You may find the article of some interest.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

James The Red Engine

I like what I'm seeing.  I'm guessing this set uses knuckle couplers insted of hook and loop?

calenelson

Quote from: James The Red Engine on November 29, 2010, 12:32:34 PM
I like what I'm seeing.  I'm guessing this set uses knuckle couplers insted of hook and loop?

If I remember right, both came in the set. It's been a while. 

One thing that may surprise you is the "Size" of this locomotive vs. the Thomas and Friends from Bachmann.  I did have a good many comparo shots on a server that recently crashed-sorry.  I'm sure you understand the SG vs. NG difference in both models.

Thomas is a good deal larger-all around than the 10-Wheeler, though the 10-Wheeler is a heavier locomotive.  Thomas will have no problems pulling the Big Hauler cars, but it may look silly to some.

The T&F cars are taller too than the Big Hauler stock. 

That said, my 10-wheeler is a bullet-proof runner, hard to go wrong with one of those!  maybe why they've been making them for years and years!

Shop around the net dealers, there are some good deals to be found on the sets!

Merry Christmas!

cale

James The Red Engine

Quote from: calenelson on November 29, 2010, 05:23:18 PM
Thomas is a good deal larger-all around than the 10-Wheeler, though the 10-Wheeler is a heavier locomotive.  Thomas will have no problems pulling the Big Hauler cars, but it may look silly to some.

Now that has me a bit worried there.  I'm building a shelf in my room for my G scale engines and I'm not sure if it'll hold the weight of this engine. :-\

Jon D. Miller

James

The Anniversary Big Hauler 4-6-0 has a weight of 8 lbs. 8 oz.  That's total weight of engine and tender. 

Thomas has a weight of 2 lbs. 15 oz.

Depending on the type of shelf brackets used and how they are attached to the wall, a shelf should be more than able to support a 10-Wheeler and the Thomas locomotive.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

James The Red Engine

Hey thanks Jon. :)

Good news is I found the set on eBay from The Favorite Spot and I've almost got enough money to afford it.  Hopefully it gets here before Christmas along with Percy and my LGB 2090. :)

Sleeping Bear

Shipping from The Favorite Spot is pretty quick on average. never had one come from him in more than a week, and I'm in western PA. nice guy to deal with.....later all....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

calenelson

Good Call on The Fav Spot...I have and would again!

James The Red Engine

Well, just a few hours ago I ordered the set.  It's coming via UPS and should be here by Friday.  I'm so excited.  ;D

James The Red Engine

Well the set arrived today and I'm very pleased with it.  However, I have question for the Bach-man.

The front axles on the front boggie on the engine sometimes don't roll.  I put some oil on them, but the problems still there.  What do I do now?

Doneldon

James-

Sometimes things are just a bit tight and need to work themselves out.  I am worried about your oiling the front truck.  I hope you used plastic compatible oil.  If not, it will attack your plastic parts and turn them gooey.
                                                                                                                                           -- D

James The Red Engine

Not to worry.  I have use the proper oil from Bachmann so there should be no problems.