Timber Trestle

Started by mf5117, November 28, 2010, 07:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

5117-

Pilot holes are a good idea. You can also use small cut nails which will not
split the wood when they are driven. I don't know, however, how available
they are in small enough sizes. I do know that many finish carpenters use
them to atttach wood trim around doors and windows.
                                                                              -- D

mf5117

Starting a small girder bridge .Is not done yet I just was looking to see how it's going to look . I have to make the bents for it and tie the rail stringers and cross members hope you all like it . for the first one it has turned out ok . Not completley satisfied with it ,but E for effort .saw some things I should have done different .

regards mark f MF5117

mf5117

added cross members, abutment , lower bridge frame

hope you like !!! getting closer

tlnibert

I liked the plans that gardentexture.com has.
Glue and nail. You can drill holes and glue small dowel rods in the bents.
Tom

mf5117

on the bridge , I did drill pilot holes and cut the brads apart and glued  and hand nailed them .I finished the bridge 2 weeks ago and soak it in oil . Put it in one of our Autoclaves with dry heat at work to dry it out and painted 3 coats of Hammered Brown Paint . and it actually looks like rusted laminated iron . they sell it at home depot , I think it looks great . I've got alot of good comments from a few people who have seen it  . Scratch building a water tower while I work on my base and finishing planning the layout just layed some pavers down this weekend so I could run my trains and get a better look at what I need to do . I was looking at going with the pavers but leaning more and more to the lime stone that has been suggested for the ballest.