News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sticky Turnouts

Started by Joe323, November 29, 2010, 01:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

I have several EZ track turnout that have a tendency to stick in one direction when thown remotely.  Short of replacing the bad turnouts is there anything that can be done to unstick them.  I can throw them manually with a stick but thats no fun.

And if I do decide to replace them what should I replace them with.  I don't want to rip up my EZ track as it works well otherwise.

Joe

THB-DAVE

Hi Joe: you need Capacitor Discharge Power source to properly switch Turnouts or several at once. A CD will give you the oomph to throw the turnouit with out danger of burning out the coils. I have used them for years on all my turnouts. Here are 2 web sites on how to make them or you can buy them pre-made. http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CDPSU.html or http://www.awrr.com/cdsupply.html

Dave

Joe323

Hi Joe: you need Capacitor Discharge Power source to properly switch Turnouts or several at once. A CD will give you the oomph to throw the turnouit with out danger of burning out the coils. I have used them for years on all my turnouts. Here are 2 web sites on how to make them or you can buy them pre-made. http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CDPSU.html or http://www.awrr.com/cdsupply.htm

Hi Dave:  Since all the turnouts are wired to a

Since all the turnouts are wired to a common power source can I use Capactor Discharge System to move them all?  And what size capacitor.

jward

are you sure that they are wired correctly? do the switch motors buzz at all when you try to throw them the other way? if they do, they are wired correctly and you should look for a mechanical reason why they won't throw. if they don't buzz, checque your wiring and make sure everything is hooked up the way the diagrams that came with the switches shows. if the wires from the switch control to the motor are mixed up, then the switch will throw one way but not the other.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

Actually I discovered something interesting last night.  After disconnecting one of the 8 turnouts connected to the power pack's AC terminals I was using the other turnouts began to function normally. I retested them before I went to work this morning. Since I had swapped out the 8eigth turnout a couple of times with no change in performance,I believe that perhaps 8 turnouts is too many for the one power pack to sustain with out a drop in power The power pack a robust MRC tech 280 is used for nothing else (As my layout is now DCC) I am thinking that the turnouts draw current even when not in use.  I suppose I could use my multitester to confirm this but does anyone know?

Meanwhile I have another 280 lying around from my pre DCC days I am going to try hooking the disconnected turnout to that to see what happens.  Also I was thinking of building/getting the CDU anyway to protect the coils.

jward

twin coil switch motors, the kind activated by push button controllers like your, should not draw current unless the button is depressed. if you are familiar with using an ohmmeter, you can test the control box that controls this switch, and the wiring to and from the switch. i haven't used a bachmann switch control box for many years, but if memory serves me they were laid out the same as the atlas boxes.

looking at the box so thet the three contacts are on the top side:

1. side contacts on the right side and left sideshould be electically connected as follows: top left to top right, bottom left to bottom right.

2. the top side contacts should be electrically connected  to the center contact of the 3 on the top side of the controller. this is the common connection.

3. the remaining two contacts on the top should only be electrically connected to the lower side contacts when the appropriate button is pushed. that is, the right button will connect the top right contact to the lower side contacts. the left button will do the same with the top left contact.

4. any electrical connection between any set of contacts not listed above will mean something is shorted in the switch control box and it should be replaced.

to repeat: there should be NO current draw unless one of the buttons is pushed.....l
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

THB-DAVE

Hi Dave:  Since all the turnouts are wired to a

Since all the turnouts are wired to a common power source can I use Capactor Discharge System to move them all?  And what size capacitor.
[/quote]
The CD device goes between the power supply and the switches so that when you press the switch the CD discharges and activates the turnout. If you want to activate more than one turnout at a time they must be attached to the same switch. A CD with 4700 microfarad 50 volt Cap shown be able to handle 2 turnouts at once with a short recycle time.
Dave

Joe323

Quote from: jward on November 30, 2010, 02:57:37 PM
twin coil switch motors, the kind activated by push button controllers like your, should not draw current unless the button is depressed. if you are familiar with using an ohmmeter, you can test the control box that controls this switch, and the wiring to and from the switch. i haven't used a bachmann switch control box for many years, but if memory serves me they were laid out the same as the atlas boxes.

looking at the box so thet the three contacts are on the top side:

1. side contacts on the right side and left sideshould be electrically connected as follows: top left to top right, bottom left to bottom right.

2. the top side contacts should be electrically connected to the center contact of the 3 on the top side of the controller. this is the common connection.

3. the remaining two contacts on the top should only be electrically connected to the lower side contacts when the appropriate button is pushed. that is, the right button will connect the top right contact to the lower side contacts. the left button will do the same with the top left contact.

4. any electrical connection between any set of contacts not listed above will mean something is shorted in the switch control box and it should be replaced.

to repeat: there should be NO current draw unless one of the buttons is pushed.....l

Actually these turnouts have a spring loaded sliding switch, which pushed activates the appropriate coils.  As I have several of these in my parts bin I will try swapping them out, however Atlas makes a switch for twin coil turnouts that is probably of higher quality anyway or I could scrounge up something down at my local Radio Shack I suspect.  Once everything is working I want to replace the cheap switches with better ones anyway BUT that is a project for next year after my wedding on January 8th, 2011.  I do have an ohmmeter so I will try testing the wiring if I get a chance. 

jward

in that case they operate the same as the atlas ones. you side the button left or right then press it. either way, the top left or top right contacts should only be connected to the side contacts if the button is pushed. my bachmann control boxes were from around 1986, and they had two pushbuttons instead of the sliding button.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

As an Update I installed a Capactive Discharge Unit and all is now right with the world.