News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 n 1 oil

Started by usher42, June 06, 2007, 12:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

I have a model power steam engine which is atsf 2-6-0. an i use 3 n1 to clean the engine wheels

THB-DAVE

You should not use 3n1 oil to clean anything on a plastic model train or even lubricate it. You must now use Isopropyl alcohol to properly clean the drive wheels of your engine and to remove the oil residue. Use the alcohol to clean the tracks also.

Dave

SWARTWOUT

HI - I have always used Ronsonol lighter fluid for all track & wheel cleaning.  Be careful, no sparks or it will ignite.  I never had a fire.

Dick

the Bach-man

Dear Usher,
Micro Mark has some dandy track and wheel cleaning accessories that will neither dissolve your equipment nor set it on fire.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

Ah come on Bach-man.  If it won't do that you miss all the fun.  Don't you like smoking locomotives .

SteamGene

Smoking locomotives are one thing.  Smoking, melting locomotives are something else again.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

GlennW

The only locomotives I want to see smoking are the 1:1 scale ones. If you fry your motors, that becomes an expensive repair. With all the electronics in the new locos, you would light your cigars with a $100 bill.

johndmuller

Are there reasonably priced, safe for both plastic and metal, and readily available (like at regular stores) items that are recommended for:

1:  regular lubrication of wheels and misc moving parts like the steam linkage; and
2:  greasing of gears and whatever else gets grease; and
3:  gluing random items (like trim pieces or fallen off parts) to cars and locos?

Preferably there would be only one item needed for each category.

Hopefully there

SteamGene

John,
I'd stick with hobby shops for most of your questions.  One exception is the CA taht Wal-Mart sells.  I've found it to be excellent, to include not drying up.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

tac

The range of products made by LaBelle are designed specifically for all lube tasks on model railroad equipment.  I have used them on a range of models trains for the last 20+ years with total confidence. As for re-attaching bits that have fallen off, your local hobby store or Wallyworld will have a range of CA adhesives that will do the job.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

glennk28

3 in 1 and also WD-40 should not be used around any plastics. THEY EAT PLASTIC!

Use either the LaBelle line, or the lubes sold by Bachmann.

GN.2-6-8-0

I use only the Labelle 102 oil and 106 grease,think about it ' you just spent big bucks on that new engine....Are you going to take a chance skimping you lubricates ?
Rocky Lives