News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Hardly moves

Started by coyotekev, December 01, 2010, 01:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotekev

I have an HO train I got last year thru Bradford exchange it is a collector edtions Green Bay Pakers. I just set it up and a full speed it barely crawls. HELP, PLEASE!!

bobwrgt

Don't turn it up all the way for very long or you will burn it up.
Did you get a parts sheet fot the engine with the set?
What model is it?  Steam or deisel??  It might have been sitting in storage and will need lubrication to  get it running properly.
Let us know what you have and i am sure we can help.

Bob

poliss

Do you have other locomotives that run slowly too? Have you cleaned the track and the wheels?

4-8-4unionpacific

My friend has an N scale layout with nothing but a $20-$30 diesel engine,nothing expensive,his train starts making a high squealing noise when ran for about 30 minutes,why does it do that.I have some of the more expensive engines and mine don't do that.I ran mine for about 3 hours and it still didn't do that,Is it because its a cheap engine?

simkon

There is a reason some locomotives are $20 and others are $100. It could be that, the loco and track may need cleaned, or the loco may need lubed, but do not lube it without cleaning it first, and then apply it very sparingly with a toothpick.

4-8-4unionpacific

Im also thinking its because the gears sre exposed under the train and dust and hair get tangled up in the meshed gears.

Ken G Price

Yes, check the gears for hair and debris in the gear teeth. This is something that many people over look.  :o

I check and clean my engines gears about three times a year.
Though I check them any time I feel that one of them is not running as smooth as it should.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/