Tunning Bachmann EZ track turnouts.

Started by Joe323, December 03, 2010, 10:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

Well I finally got the remote turnouts working (BTW they work much better on DC then AC current) Now I need to fine tune them so the wheels do not derail at the points.  I know this has come up before can anyone point me to thread.

CHOGSDEN

re turn outs or switch track . how do u extend the turn out 3 wire cable so it will fit switch controllers 3-4 ft away

Joe Satnik

Dear Joe,

Do a Bachmann board search (see button above) on "file points".

Dear CHOGSDEN,

Find someone that knows how to solder and use heat shrink tubing to splice extra length into the middle of your present green 3 connector cable.

Alternatively, you could buy the 10 foot extender cable:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=205

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CHOGSDEN

Quote from: CHOGSDEN on December 04, 2010, 02:28:45 AM
re turn outs or switch track . how do u extend the turn out 3 wire cable so it will fit switch controllers 3-4 ft away

WHAT GAUGE WIRE

Doneldon

HOGSDEN-

Well, Bachmann uses quite small wire in their connectors, I'd guess #20 or maybe #22.  That's probably okay for very short runs but, by definition, you don't have a short run if you are adding wire to the existing connecting wire.  So use something larger, say #18 or even #16 or #14.  Sixteen gauge stranded wire is what most extension cords use; #14 solid is commonly used in relatively short runs in household circuits.

Those sizes may sound pretty large for model train voltages but remember that smaller wires have more resistance than larger ones so you'll get a greater electric drop with smaller wires which may very well affect the functioning of your railroad and perhaps some maintenance problems as well.

An alternative which may be easier and will definitely be cheaper is to run a double loop of #14 wire around your pike as a power buss and then use small wire (#20, #22 or even #24) to go from the buss wires to the rails.  Just be sure to keep your polarity consistent.
                                                                                                                                                                         -- D