News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Model RR Magazine index

Started by richg, November 16, 2010, 10:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

TO THE BACH MAN. HOW ABOUT SUGGESTING TO THE "POWERS THAT BE" TO ADVERTISE IN THIS ON LINE MAGAZINE. MANY REALLY LIKE THE MAGAZINE AND IT SEEMS TO BE GROWING IN POPULARITY.
SOME ARTICLES HAVE VIDEOS. THIS IS THE FUTURE. I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE VIDEOS BY ADVERTISERS IN THE FUTURE.

Some of you remember the on line Model Railroad index that was shut down quite a few months ago, but a Limited Beta Test of new Model RR Magazine index is being run. Some individuals at the MRH site are contributing to building the index again with help from the NMRA.
Below is a link to the site.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/3674

There is also a very good, FREE on line magazine there.
For those who forget to download the magazine, they have a email notification of when the next issue is ready. This is the year 2010, Times are changing. Go with the change.
This magazine is very nice to read on an iPad.

Rich

CNE Runner

Wow Rich, you have hit the nail squarely on the head. I am also a faithful reader of the Model Railroad Hobbyist e-magazine and like both its format and content. Yes, this is the future (...don't invest in printed mass media).

Frankly I wish all hobby magazines gave us the option of receiving their monthly issue via the Internet. For years I subscribed to Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. It didn't take too many years before I was inundated with back issues. In desperation, I started cutting out articles of interest, filing them, and recycling the rest of the magazine. This process has resulted in two rather large expandable file holders; the contents of which I know not. It would have been much easier to cut and paste the same articles from an e-magazine and storing them on a flash drive.

Just my opinion,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on November 16, 2010, 10:41:56 AM
Wow Rich, you have hit the nail squarely on the head. I am also a faithful reader of the Model Railroad Hobbyist e-magazine and like both its format and content. Yes, this is the future (...don't invest in printed mass media).

Frankly I wish all hobby magazines gave us the option of receiving their monthly issue via the Internet. For years I subscribed to Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman. It didn't take too many years before I was inundated with back issues. In desperation, I started cutting out articles of interest, filing them, and recycling the rest of the magazine. This process has resulted in two rather large expandable file holders; the contents of which I know not. It would have been much easier to cut and paste the same articles from an e-magazine and storing them on a flash drive.

Just my opinion,
Ray

My stepson has a guillotine that is for chopping the binder off of a book or magazine and a Canon book scanner for converting to PDF or eBook format. Great for all my MRR magazines and I can build my own index for the magazines I have.
Right now he buys eBooks on line for less cost than a book printed on paper. No, we are not tree huggers. This is a sign of the times.
We are both retired so we have the time.

Rich

OldTimer

Well, to each his own.  Personally, I prefer hard copy.  Nothing like curling up with a cat, a hot cup of coffee, and a good book.  Mind you, I'm not a Luddite.  I've built computers for years, used to be MCSE certified, and taught computer science at the college level.  I just like books and magazines.  Having said that, I do like MRH and am on their mailing list.  OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

richg

I like curling up with an iPad by the fireplace that has a nice wood fire going in it. The iPad is better than many books as I can adjust the Font size very quickly. Try doing that with a paper book. Helps a lot when you wear trifocals.
If I see something I do not understand, I can do a Quick Google search and get the answer, plus I can check my email.
Girlfriend seems to be a little annoyed by the iPad at times but she can check our Facebook page and her email. So you might say, a win, win situation.  :)

Rich

kamerad47

The only problem i have is reading off a e book or I pad It will kill your eyes!!!!

richg

Quote from: kamerad47 on November 16, 2010, 04:57:56 PM
The only problem i have is reading off a e book or I pad It will kill your eyes!!!!

There are pros and cons on this eye issue.

Do everything in Moderation.

I remember reading about many people who developed eye issues becasue of reading newspapers, books in poor light.

Rich

richg

Latest news. The Index is coming back.

http://trc.trains.com/modeltrainindex

Many have emailed Kalmbach.

Rich

rayport

You might also like the overview of the "books" published three times a year by Westlake Publishing and Uncle Russ that are available at www.westlakepublishing.net. If the photos in these overviews do not make you rush to place your order for the books nothing will - old fashioned or not!

richg

This link is to the NMRA index that will be coming online in the near future.

http://www.rrmagindex.org/

Right now there is a link that takes you to a temporary site where the index is being put together. The temporary site is someones server where the index is located.
Eventually, the NMRA will have total control of the index as I understand it.
The is bring discussed a lot on the MRH eZine site.
I posted the temporary link in a recent message.
I hope the Powers That Be will leave this in the Bachmann forums because it is for the benefit of the MRR Community.

Rich