New (G Scale) Thomas inoperable

Started by SullyND, December 04, 2010, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SullyND

My son got a Bachmann Thomas set for his birthday in October.  We set it up around the christmas tree the other day and it is inoperable.  I've confirmed the transformer works, as other engines work on the track.  Thomas does not move at all.  There isn't a switch or something on the engine I may have missed is there?  I'm very disappointed my son may not get to enjoy his present this year.

JD417

there is a switch on the bottom, if flipping it doesnt work then i have no clue :P try sending it back to bachmann they will either fix it or send you a new one :)

SullyND

Quote from: JD417 on December 04, 2010, 11:43:07 AM
there is a switch on the bottom

Excellent thanks! I looked before but didn't see one, time to go look again ;)

SullyND

What am I missing?  I cannot find a switch.  Any clue as to how to find it?  I hate the idea of returning it to Bachmann, as the trains only come out for Christmas, which means my son won't get to enjoy it at all this year. 

JD417

it is at the back on the right on the underside of the engine

SullyND

I can't see it.  Sorry for the Mr. Blurry-cam

(Yes, that's a [Non-Bachmann] James that runs fine)

JD417

when i saw the red tender i almost fell out of my seat then i read the caption  :P

it should be in the top right corner using this picture, can i just double check, you got the set right?

James The Red Engine

Quote from: SullyND on December 04, 2010, 05:25:51 PM
I can't see it.  Sorry for the Mr. Blurry-cam

(Yes, that's a [Non-Bachmann] James that runs fine)

I can't find a switch on mine either.  Percy seems to have one though.  :-\

JD417

mine does ??? i am so lost, why im the only one with a switch on thomas  ???

Bucksco

If you really don't want to send it in for repair/replacement my suggestion would be to remove the body shell and inspect the unit for a possible detached wire. The switch being referred to on newer models is a polarity switch. It's only purpose is to switch the polarity of the motor between NMRA and Large Scale standard (it olny appears on the second run of these locos so yours may not have this switch).

SullyND

Well, Thomas has been at Bachmann for a couple months now.  Received a post card that they'd received, but the post card had the wrong address (Still somehow made it's way to me).  Sent an email confirming they had the right address, but am now getting no response as to when we'll ever see him again.

JD417

if u dont get a new response within a month or 2 i think you might want to get a nother thomas or just drive down there and get it yourself