News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Oon30 or something like that

Started by vidguy069, December 03, 2010, 04:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidguy069

Joyous greetings to all;

I know I've read the answer somewhere before.  Probably several times.  But the answer eludes once again. 
What is Oon30 or HOon30, or whatever it's called.  I know it has something to do with running larger cars on smaller track, or smaller cars on larger tracks?

Thank you all for helping my ever forgetfullness.

vidguy069

simkon

On30 is narrow gauge O scale, Hon30 is narrow gauge HO scale. In both cases the track is 30 inches wide in 1:1. Hon3 is narrow gauge Ho with the track being 36 inches wide in 1:1.

mhampton

On30 trains run on HO track and HOn30 trains run on N scale track.  Purists will tell you that the tie spacing is wrong for the respective scale, but that's not anything to worry about when you're just getting started.

Woody Elmore

Back in the 19th century some railroad builders laid track to other gauges - 3 foot gauge was very popular. These trains were smaller and often the trackage was really very primitive. These narrow gauge railroads were not meant to be luxurious, just money makers.

Bachmann's On30 line represents trains built to a scale of a quarter inch to the foot (called O scale) but designed to run on HO gauge, 16.5 mm, track.  This represents approximately 30" gauge; a gauge not too common here in the USA but found in several other countries.

HOn3 represents trains that ran on three foot gauge track. HOn30 is representative of approximately 30 gauge.

I hope this clears things up a little for you. Now I need someone to explain F scale to me!

Woody Elmore

I was just kidding about F scale -  I know what it is - sort of. Big trains! And the NMRA still hasn't approved the letter. I guess they are still filling the library

All the scale and gauge nominclature must be confusing to someone starting out. It was much easier when there was only American Flyer and Lionel!

vidguy069

Lionel, what the heck is THAT? JUST kidding.  Although I came in on the Tyco train.
At any rate, thanks to all. Informative as always.

vidguy069

richg

It always amazes me that many do not know how to do a Google search for answers. Most of the time the answer is on the Internet if you bother to take the time and look around.
If you do not like to use Google, there are other search engines available.
The beauty of this is you can amass quite a lot of links you can store in Favorites for reading if you need more details.
Try it, you will like it.
OK, if you are bored and need to start a conversation thread, that is OK also.

Rich

RAM

Rich.  If I can't get some else to do it, than it is not wroth doing.  I think that what the world is coming to.