Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Long Caboose

Started by Udo, December 06, 2010, 07:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Udo

Hello together !
Just now I got my long caboose.
To get something like this here in the country where it is "born" (China) is not easy.
Bachmann Dealers are not of great help. They just sell, what they have in stock...
I got mine via a dealer in HK, who got it from Walthers.

But, that is not the question. I am very happy to have it.
The real question is:
Are the inside lights "prototypical"? Not regarding the accuracy of the table lights, they look very nice...
but regarding the number of lights inside the car.
No lights in the cupola or under the ceiling ?
No lights on the platforms ?

May be somebody can give me some hints!

Thanks,

Udo

the Bach-man

Dear Udo,
These cabooses were lit by kerosene lanterns taken where they were needed. There was no lighting such as you described.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

Udo-

There would have been no lights in the cupola because they would have interfered with the brakeman's or condictor's vision outside of the caboose at night as they watched the train for problems, in particular glowing red or smoking overheated bearing journals on the trucks.  There were red  lights displayed on the rear corners of the caboose at night so following trains could see the train before it was too late to stop.  Otherwise, interior lights were used as needed for the work at hand.  This would include the conductor's paperwork, train orders, etc., or cards, dice, reading material or food.

I'm glad that you are pleased with your caboose.  It is a real symbol of American railroading, at least prior to the past 20-30 years.
                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Udo

Hello Bman,
Hello Doneldon!
Thanks for the answers and specially for the explanations of Doneldon !

Udo