News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

engine shuts down

Started by kodyind, December 07, 2010, 10:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kodyind

My engine shuts down after about 10 minutes and when i wait a few and unplug and then plug back in it will work again. Also it will run fine then at a few places it will slow down, not stop just go slower for about 6 inches and speed back up so can anyone tell me what is wrong and what i can do.

thank you
Jim

JerryB

We would need some more information to hekp make a determination of your probleM:

What engine?
What power supply?
What is the age of this equipment?
Has this engine ever worked?
Has it worked in your current setup (layout)?
What is it pulling?

Off hand, it sounds like you might have a power pack that is tripping from over current, and that you have some dirty track, but without lots more information, that is truly just a guess.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

EARIC

Try cleaning the track where it slowdown and the wheels
EARIC

kodyind

Quote from: JerryB on December 07, 2010, 11:52:32 PM
We would need some more information to hekp make a determination of your probleM:

What engine?
What power supply?
What is the age of this equipment?
Has this engine ever worked?
Has it worked in your current setup (layout)?
What is it pulling?

Off hand, it sounds like you might have a power pack that is tripping from over current, and that you have some dirty track, but without lots more information, that is truly just a guess.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Jerry
This is a big hauler set, its about one year old, the engine is a 4-6-0 steam locomotive, it has a tender and two cars, it worked fine on this latout ( i have it around my christmas tree) it just started the slow down and speed up last light oh the power source is what come with the set. but it has done the total shut down sence i set it up. it will run fine and the it stops no power and if i unplug and plug it back in it works, this has only happened two times. This is my first train set so i don't know very much about it so thanks for your help

Jim

NarrowMinded

Check all your cars to make sure the wheels are spinning freely, run the loco around the track with no cars for a little while and see if it does the same thing. Also push a car around the track to make sure none of the rails have been pinched together which mich cause some slowing.

Also double check all your connection from powerpack to track the clip to the track can be a problem at times.

Joe Satnik

Dear Jim,

It is normal for the train to slow down a little on the curves. 

Other reasons for slowing down:

1.) Dirty track, dirty loco wheels, dirty/bent power pickups on wheels, dirty/loose/misaligned rail-to-rail connectors or power pack to track connections.

It is very easy to miss getting the rail into the next track section's rail connector.    Half the rail in, half the rail out is the most common track assembly error.

If the rail connectors  are loose,  a gentle squeeze with a pliers will tighten them up.  (Careful not to smash the connectors closed.)

Reasons for blowing the circuit breaker:

1.) Short across the track.

2.) Short inside the loco or loco's front truck wiring.

3.) Front truck turned around to the wrong direction.

4.) Excessive mechanical drag in loco or the rest of the train causing the motor to draw too much current.  (Clean, lube, align, fix, etc.)

5.) Defective circuit breaker in controller (blows too soon).

6.) Defective motor.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

k-

Feel your motor when the loco shuts down.  Is it
very hot?  If so, you either have something binding
and making it work too hard or a defective motor.

-- D

JerryB

The small power supplies provided with the sets are marginal at best. Running a locomotive that has not been lubricated, along with cars that perhaps have a little extra drag (again from lack of lubrication, or from collecting crud off the floor or carpet) can cause the circuit breaker in the power supply to drop out. It usually will automatically reset soon after the overload is removed. This is as you have described.

Once the circuit breaker trips once, the next slightly high current event will cause the breaker to trip at an even lower current level. Just a vicious cycle that results in lots of frustration.

If you have a volt meter, check the track voltage when the train stops and before you do anything else. If it is zero, then the problem is most likely the power supply circuit breaker.

Cleaning and lubricating the locomotive, cleaning the track (which might eliminate the slowing down in spots), and putting a very small amount of lubricant on the truck bearings should help, but the starter set power supply is still marginal.

The real permanent solution is to get a new, larger capacity power pack, as well as doing the above maintenance.

Hope this helps,

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Chuck N

I strongly agree with Jerry. 

If you don't have a volt meter, get one.  They are the best tool you can have to diagnose electrical problems.  It helps you determine whether it is your engine, car, track, or power supply.  You can get one at Radio Shack for less than $30.00.  You don't need to be an electrical engineer to use one.  I'm a geologist and even with rocks in my head I find it very helpful.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

All responses are great, but Jerry B has probably zeroed in on your problem.  The breaker in the pack becomes even weaker the more times it resets til it fails totally.

You can get a voltmeter at Harbor Freight Stores for $2.99 in This weeks ad.

If you have a friend with a power pack try it, and if the train runs OK it is time for a better power supply.  Any small 1 AMP or 2 AMP power pack will work. 
If your set was manufactured after 2000 your locomotive has the latest power chassis which pulling the two passenger cars draws less than 1/2 AMP.  Those made before 2000 often draw more power. 

If you plan to add track go for higher AMP Rating.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

sandychris

I have a Bachman Big Hauler "Golden Spike" that only gets used during the holidays.  It runs for a few minutes and then stops also.  I've tried cleaning the track but it continues to exhibit the same problem every year.  It always stops at a joint in the track.

Sleeping Bear

I have a Bachman Big Hauler "Golden Spike" that only gets used during the holidays.  It runs for a few minutes and then stops also.  I've tried cleaning the track but it continues to exhibit the same problem every year.  It always stops at a joint in the track.                                          try tightening the track joiners and if that doesn't work...check eBay for another transformer(controller)or pass the middle man and get a new one from Bachmann or ....up grade......later all.....S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"