A Couple of Questions About Atlas Track

Started by BradKT, December 08, 2010, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

I am gathering information before I make the decision whether to just remove several sections of Bachmann EZ-track from my layout and replace them with Atlas nickel silver track and cork roadbed.  As part of this information-gathering process, I need the answers to a couple of questions:

1.  What is the difference between Atlas code 83 and code 100 track?  As far as alignment of the track is concerned, would there be any problem connecting the Atlas track to E-Z track?  I don't see any problem..I would just use the standard rail joiners and remove the interlocking parts from the E-Z track... but I want to make sure.

2.  Does Atlas have a switch/turnout that is the equivalent to the Bachmann #5 turnout?  If so, do they have a remote version that can be wired to a switch on the other side of the layout?   If there is any one change that I am most seriously thinking about making, it is those #5 Bachman turnouts.

I am not going to remove all of my track...but I am seriously considering removing the 4' or so of EZ track leading up to as many as 6 #5 turnouts and possibly a couple of 18" and 22" radius curves...

...but like I said, I am in the information gathering stage right now.  Although this move would require some major surgery on my layout, I want to get to the point where I can have some peace of mind with these turnouts and be done with it and I have pretty much gotten to the point where I just don't trust these E-Z track turnouts anymore.  I have already removed my layout background so I have easy access to all part of my layout.  I had to do that anyway to address my current E-Z track problem areas, so if I make going to make this move, now is the time.  Besides, Atlas track and cork roadbed is a cheaper to use, so the expense wouldn't be all that much.  The rest would just be cosmetic scenery restoration, but before I do any of that, I am going to make sure that my repaired track is working perfectly first.

simkon

The code 83 track will not fit in the Bachmann rail joiners, you either need to use Atlas transition joiners or find another way to connect them. Atlas does not make #5 turnouts, but they do make #6 turnouts although I am not sure how the departures compare.

jward

the closest evuivalent to a bachmann 5 is an atlas 4 which is actually a #4 1/2.

how close is an atlas 4 to a #5?

i planned my layout using atlas software, and substituted #5 switches built from a jig for the atlas 4s in the plan. i found the difference to be minimal, with the 5s taking up slightly more length.

the geometry is the same between track pieces in the code 83 and code 100 lines. the geometry is also the same between the standard ez track and atlas pieces such as the 9" straights, and 18" and 22" radius curves.

atlas #4 and #6 switches are designed for tracks on 2" centers. using two switches to make a crossover or ladder track will give you those same 2" centers. i don't know what the dimensions for ez track crossovers are, but the tracks look much further apart than 2"....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BradKT

Quote from: jward on December 08, 2010, 11:19:41 PM
the closest evuivalent to a bachmann 5 is an atlas 4 which is actually a #4 1/2.

how close is an atlas 4 to a #5?

i planned my layout using atlas software, and substituted #5 switches built from a jig for the atlas 4s in the plan. i found the difference to be minimal, with the 5s taking up slightly more length.

the geometry is the same between track pieces in the code 83 and code 100 lines. the geometry is also the same between the standard ez track and atlas pieces such as the 9" straights, and 18" and 22" radius curves.

atlas #4 and #6 switches are designed for tracks on 2" centers. using two switches to make a crossover or ladder track will give you those same 2" centers. i don't know what the dimensions for ez track crossovers are, but the tracks look much further apart than 2"....

A Question for JWard:  If you were designing a crossover from one line to another using two switches, would you use Atlas #4, #6 or #8 turnouts?

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Back to basics here:

Non-roadbed turnouts are much easier to design and work with than roadbed attached turnouts. 

This is because the mainline and divergent tracks have to separate far enough to let 2 attached track pieces sit side by side without interfering with each other.

Non-roadbed turnouts only have to go out to the width of the ties (1-1/8"'). 

Roadbed turnouts have to travel out to the width of the roadbed (2").

That's 78% longer (!) divergent lengths (from point of frog) needed for roadbed track.

Note that having to break off part of the roadbed shortens that distance a little on the Bachmann EZ-Track #5 turnout.

The #6 crossover defeats the roadbed width problem by being one solid piece.

The difference in divergent route length is the reason it's difficult to use Atlas layout software with Atlas turnout libraries to design EZ-Track Layouts.

Anyrail.com has tons of different track libraries, including HO EZ-track.  Download it and have fun learning.  It's free for the first 50 track pieces. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

Quote from: BradKT on December 11, 2010, 01:47:08 AM
Quote from: jward on December 08, 2010, 11:19:41 PM
A Question for JWard:  If you were designing a crossover from one line to another using two switches, would you use Atlas #4, #6 or #8 turnouts?

if i were designing a single crossover i would use the #6 or #8 if i had the room. the #6 will handle just about any equipment you may have, and have a nice long look to them. the atlas #8 is relatively new and i've never used them, but they would probably work even better than the #6. if you have the room, use the largest number.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA