News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting Started Questions

Started by CydneR, December 08, 2010, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CydneR

Hello! My husband is wanting to get started with model trains and I am thinking about getting him something train related for Christmas. He really just wants something to put around the Christmas tree each year and he would like for it be something he and our son can add on to each year. Because it will only be out for about one month out of the year I guess it doesn't have to be anything super fancy. I was thinking about getting him the front part of the train (please excuse my train terminology ignorance) this Christmas, but I have no idea what I'm looking at here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OldTimer

The smaller scales are not really suited to running on the floor.  You didn't mention how old your son is, but small trains and small hands don't really mix, either.  I would suggest that you look at Williams and other O-gauge trains--Atlas and Lionel come to mind.  These trains are big enough to survive the occasional cat attack and sturdy enough to put up and take down annually.  Lots of us got started with three-rail O-gauge as kids, and it's still a great choice for a toy.  Best of luck.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

mabloodhound

The larger 'G' gauge trains are very well suited for Christmas tree use and run OK on floors.   They also bear up well under small hands and animals.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

CydneR

simkon

I would suggest buying either an O or G scale train set because it is usually more economical than buying everything individually. The sets include track, a power supply, a few freight or passenger cars, and a locomotive.

Joe Satnik

Dear CydneR,

I have some Bachmann Christmas related G scale equipment that your family might be interested in.  Contact me through this forum's personal message system,  or email to: joebarb"AT"wwt"DOT"net .

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe323

yes go with either an O or G scale Train Set.  Each year you could add something new say a new car or building.  You need not limit it to one item though depending on your budget.