Is it possible for a car to be too heavy?

Started by Joe323, December 13, 2010, 10:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

I have a couple of those model power metal bodied car.  Wondering since they are so heavy relative to my plastic bodied car causing them to derail?

jward

the metal train cars are the best ones model power offers. i like the ones i have, but you have to be careful where you have them in your train. if they are at the rear, they can cause lighter cars to pop out on curves going downhill, and can cause rollovers on sharp turns. keep them at the front of the train and you should be fine.

note, the troubles i've had with derailments when running them have all been with other cars in the train, not the metal cars.....from my experience most cars aree too light out of the box and need to have weight added for optimum performance.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

OldTimer

The National Model Railroad Association suggests what car weights are appropriate for each scale in its Recommend Practice 20.1.  For HO scale, cars should weigh one ounce plus 1/2 ounce for each inch of length. 

A small electronic scale like those used for figuring postage works well for weighing your cars.  Micro Mark also sells a scale and they also sell stick-on weights in different sizes. 

My personal experience is that if I try to adhere to RP 20.1, my equipment operates better.  Hope this helps.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe323

Quote from: OldTimer on December 13, 2010, 01:30:19 PM
The National Model Railroad Association suggests what car weights are appropriate for each scale in its Recommend Practice 20.1.  For HO scale, cars should weigh one ounce plus 1/2 ounce for each inch of length. 

A small electronic scale like those used for figuring postage works well for weighing your cars.  Micro Mark also sells a scale and they also sell stick-on weights in different sizes. 

My personal experience is that if I try to adhere to RP 20.1, my equipment operates better.  Hope this helps.
OldTimer

Actually I have weghed some of cars and taken some of the lighter ones out of service until I cam weigh them down.  However with my wedding in 3 weeks, this has not been a priority.  Once thats done I'll try.

bobwrgt

Check to see if the wheels are in gauge. Also check the couplers to see if the pins hanging down are to low and hitting the top of the rail especially in curves and switches. Make sure couplers swing freely when attached to the car.
Weight should not make that much of a difference.

I have an 80ft mainline with no switches and most of my cars on that line have all the weight removed so i can run long trains with even little engines. Track is level and smooth so i have no problems running at all speeds.

Bob

jake_iv

Yes s s s!  You can have cars that are too heavy.  Especially passsenger cars with full interiors and people or flat cars with heavy loads.  If you have any of these run them at the head end of your train to avoid pulling lighter cars off of the rails.  Also - the heavy cars will reduce the number of cars that any loco can pull - - - just like the real thing.