News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ARE THERE SMOKING N SCALE TRAINS?

Started by darticus, December 11, 2010, 06:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

I have heard of some N scale trains had smoke generators years ago. Does anyone know if there is such a product now. I even heard of someone that makes smoke generators for the N scale steamers but the smoke stack should be metal. Anyone have any information? Ron

simkon

The only one I know of was made by Arnold, there are not any being made currently that I know of. The reason why is that it would cause problems with weight distribution which affects pulling power, and it would mean no headlight, and it would mean needing to clean the track and the loco's wheels more often.

skipgear

Arnold made a couple with smoke. I have a 4-6-2 Pacific with a smoke unit in it. After my experience with smoke in HO, I would bother though. I will never put a drop of fluid in the Pacific. Smoke is messy and will eventually ruin the plastic shells on the loco. The smoke is just vaporized mineral oil. Everything it falls on ends up slimmy and nasty, including your loco's and rolling stock. Leave the stink and the smoke to the O-scalers.

If you are still interested, Seuthe is the company that makes the smoke modules.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

darticus

Thanks guys just read something on smoke for N SCALE and wanted to ask about it. Sounded interesting but I know its a mess. Ron

Franz T

Not only is "smoke" messy, but it looks extremely unrealistic. Many decades ago when I still modeled in HorriblyOversized, I had two "smoking" steamers with Seuthe units.  All you get is a little wisp of smoke for about a minute or two and then you have to start the messy process of re-filling.  Leave the smoke to the Lionel tin-plate crowd, it probably goes great with the missile launching flat cars.... ;D

darticus

Quote from: Franz T on December 12, 2010, 08:17:15 AM
Not only is "smoke" messy, but it looks extremely unrealistic. Many decades ago when I still modeled in HorriblyOversized, I had two "smoking" steamers with Seuthe units.  All you get is a little wisp of smoke for about a minute or two and them you have to start the messy process of re-filling.  Leave the smoke to the Lionel tin-plate crowd, it probably goes great with the missile launching flat cars.... ;D
Your right I did this with LGB. Ron

Roger Perkins

Rowa produced a 2-8-8-2 smoking engine.  I purchased one about 1974-75. I was one of my favorite engines and ran well also pulled better than the version with no smoke and headlight because of the extra weight.
The smoke emission was very good and continuous on mine.  It was messy adding the liquid and the result was the liquid degraded the plastic body shell, made it brittle, friable.   

The Seuth smoke liquid was recommended, suspect the smoke unit was from them.
Mine is need of repair.