Remotor an old Rivarossi Cab Forward

Started by pacifier, June 07, 2007, 05:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacifier

Has anyone on this board remotored an old Rivarossi Cab forward 4-8-8-2 engine? I'm told that there were several people that have done it using the directions from the web site "Micro-loco-motion.com". I contacted him about the directions but he said since those remotoring jobs were done 5 years ago, he no longer has copies of those directions. He said several people did the modification and someone may have a copy yet.

RAM

you might try model railroader or Atlas fourms

glennk28

I remotored several Rivarossi locos many years ago--as I remember I used a Sagami motor from NWSL that was around 22x24mm--sort of stubby, and intended for the job. Get their remotoring instruction kit--well worth it--gj

pacifier

I finally got it done! I shoe horned an NWSL 2032 into the space that the old 3 pole motor fitted into. Had to cut about 1/4 to 3/8ths of the boiler weight off to be able to get it in there. Also had to modify an old drive shaft that I had laying around. Fabricating a piece of 1/8th x 3/8ths  brass stock for a motor mount was another big job. With the old motor in the engine, it was jerky at low speed, and would stop running until it was tapped or even pushed. Now its low speed is smooth. Top speed seems to be right for that model, so I'm not going to mess with the gearing. While it's working good, I know I'll have to replace that drive shaft with a good one from NWSL soon.