News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track turnouts

Started by LRL, December 12, 2010, 05:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRL

What is the difference between the HO scale EZ track #'s 4, 5, and 6 turnouts?  The only difference I can see is the length of the turnout?
BNSF & MRL

Jim Banner

The difference is the angle of departure of the divergent track.

For a number four, it is 1 in 4 or 14.36o

For a number five, it is 1 in 5 or  11.48o

For a number  six, it is 1 in 6 or  9.56o

For a number eight it is 1 in 8 or 7.17o

The indicated angles are the theoretical values measured at the frog.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jhanecker2

That is essentially the difference .  It takes approximately four times the width of the distance between the rails to cross over on a #4  turnout , five times the distance for a #5 , and  six times the distance for a #6. this therefore effects the angle that the track diverges from the straight line of the track. Since car length affects the ability of cars to cross over  smoothly, the longer the  distance puts less of a  sideways pull on the car , so it might derail less often.

LRL

Thanks for the info guys.  A #4 turn out should help my larger engines negotiate the turns onto the sidings 
BNSF & MRL

simkon

Quote from: LRL on December 12, 2010, 07:40:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys.  A #4 turn out should help my larger engines negotiate the turns onto the sidings 
If you are using larger locomotives, I would suggest at least a #5 or preferably a #6 for best results.

LRL

Thanks,   I changed the couplers on the engines to the Mark II Long shank and now they make the turn on the regular turn outs some of the time, so I thought I will try a set of #4 turnouts on one of the sidings to see if that will fix the derail problem.
BNSF & MRL