News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Last Locomotive Project

Started by jonathan, December 12, 2010, 09:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Again, thanks, Woody.  You helped get me to this point!

I think the crewmen were a Precision Scale product.  They came in a little plastic bag with the folded cardstock stapled over the top.  I got 'em for $3 at an old LHS (the good, smelly kind).  Was going to use the plastic Model Power guys, but I couldn't pass up these fellows.  I'm an 'old school' guy.

I may have to consider a rework at some point and put the fuel line tubing in as a connector one day.  I believe you're right about the universal connector.  The motor was so big, I couldn't get an angle pointed straight at the gearbox.  As this was my first, um, my last brass rebuild, I'll take it as a learning opportunity. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

I think those brass figures might have been made by Kemtron. 

ebtnut

Oh, and BTW, great job on the project! :D

Barney R

Wow- I have been following the thread and watching your progress. You did a great job.

Barney

jonathan

Thank you, Gentlemen, for the kind words.  As always, it was a fun build... mostly.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

Don't want to bump the thread up, but I have received some nice messages.  Based on the number of views, and kind comments, I'd say this little project went over well.  Thanks again, to all of you.  I am humbled by your kindness.

jev

OldTimer

Excellent job, Jonathan.  It really turned out well.  Thanks for sharing.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Thomas1911

I too have been following along.  I think it looks great.  Couldn't ask for much better.

Bill Baker

Do another project!  Do another project!  I really enjoyed your series.  I've printed all of the pages of this thread and have placed them in my "Bachmann scrap book".

Bill
Bill

jonathan

Thanks, Bill, Thomas and Old Timer.  Always happy to share my foibles. ;D

I'll see what I can do about a future project.  I don't know that it would be very interesting to anyone but a B&O fan, but I am searching for an old, brass, wagon top caboose to rebuild.  There's a Timonium train show in mid February.  Maybe I'll get lucky.

Locomotives are quite an undertaking.  Despite looking for the best deal on a fixer-upper, the projects do get a bit pricey before they're done.  I'm lucky that I didn't need to get a puller and quartering tool this time.  I did miss out on some sleep... :)

Regards,

Jonathan

NWsteam

Fantastic job! How about some videos?

Doneldon

jonathan-

You can work on my railroad any time you want. I know that's important to you now that you've finished your own last locomotive project.

-- D

jonathan

Doneldon,

;D Thanks for the offer!  I am focused on scenery work for the remainder of the winter.  I'm adding a water column on the approach track of my turntable, and fixing some scenery elements that need attention.  Scenery goes slowly, as I make it up as I go along.  Should really be following some sort of prototypical area along the B&O line.  Would love to play trains, um, get together for an operating session sometime.  ;D

NW Steam,

I shoot videos with a point-and-shoot digital camera.  They are jerky and blurry at best.  My layout is in my garage, so I can't do any real running of trains until the weather gets warmer.  I'll try to shoot some moving pictures at that time.  I have only run this loco along 20 feet of track for testing purposes.  Right now, the L-2 is resting in a cubby on my desk until I can give her a proper workout.

In reply #57, on the bottom of page 4 of this thread, is a video of the mechanism during testing.  With the volume up, you can hear the sound it makes.  It's not loud, but the universal connector 'whirs' a bit.  The sound is louder with the shell attached.  The connector pieces fit right between the halves of the boiler, which acts like an amplifier/speaker.  I don't have the nerve to tinker with it right now, since it runs.  But I will have to revisit the universal connector one day.

Regards,

Jonathan