News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-0 Porter

Started by tomplatten, December 14, 2010, 01:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomplatten

I need to get the motor block on the Porter apart to repair the small wheel contactors. They are frozen on one side so they don't touch the drivers. I can't figure out how to get the motor block apart!

NarrowMinded

mabloodhound

Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ChrisS

the motor just pry's up on mine... the contacts for the motor just get held on there.. its a tight squeeze..... you'll feel like you're breaking it... but you're not.

tomplatten

The tiny little springs that are supposed to hold the contactors out against the wheel are crushed. I don't suppose Bachman sells those springs

Rich R

Hi,

You can use Kadee HO Truck springs for that purpose and they last a lot longer than the OEM parts. Just use the right ones as Kadee sells two types. Might be a help if you took one of the "melted" springs with you when you go looking.
Don't use the copper springs from the couplers as they will melt at the first short.

You've taken the thing apart, so you've already done the hard work.
This answer was posted here some years back so it's an ongoing problem. The newer Porters and the 0-4-2 have a different contact system. 

Good luck.
Rich R

ChrisS

My porters are unreliable. All 3 of them. They loose pick up. And they are
Older styles. Guess I need some coupler springs

NarrowMinded

Um, sorry my mind gets a little fuzzy and thinks of them both as porters mostly because davenport bought porter in the 1950s and produced some locos based on porter designs

NM

tomplatten

I took my Porter and put all of the parts in a small plastic bag! I am going to write it off! At my age I just don't have the eyes any longer to mess around with those small springs. That is why I went to "O" gauge! If any body wants to tackle fixing this thing let me know!

lvrr325

I'd be tempted to send it in and see if they'll just replace it with one from the new run.   Would be well worth the $20 or $35 or whatever the fee is for being out of warranty.

NarrowMinded

Last I heard the new ones will be out in April 2011

I can hardly wait for a couple with dcc sound installed

smokinporter

Hi all,
The older 0-4-0 Porters had a problem when they would even get a quickshort they would take the temper out of the small coil spring on the pickups and the spring would fry. The next ones to hit stateside were designed after the 0-4-2 and use a flat wiper system and they are working fine. I discovered all of this as I started to put DCC and some sound in the first Porters and found out the hard way when you short out DCC you are hitting those small coil spring with a full 2 to 10 amps depending on your system even for a millisecond they will fry. So I have an assortment of defunct 0-4-0 Porters and I use them for parts as I need them.
    Yes I too am waiting for the new 0-4-0 Porters with sound. Have 2 on order and hope I see them soon as I am not getting any younger.
Have Fun, Smokinporter :)