Bachman Easy Command and Auto reverse add on as used with Peco insulfrog

Started by tscdata, December 09, 2010, 02:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tscdata

[Hello All,

I have the Backman Easy Command Controller and have recently purchased the Bachman Auto Reverse unit.

On my layout I have a "Y" and wish to use the Auto Revers unit to travers the upper portion of the "Y".  So far I have NOT been able to do so.  As I cross the insulated portions of the "Y" I get a short circuit indication.  Yes, both rails are insulated at each end.

I am using all Peco track and turnouts.  The turnouts are of the "Insulfrog" type.

Can anyone help me.  PLease!! :

John

jward

i have some questions for clarification of your question....

first, by wye are you referring to the track configuration involving 3 switches which is the railroad  equivalent of t 3 point turn? i ask because some beginning  model rails confuse a "wye" with a switch or turnout. they are not the same.....

the second question deals with the wye itself. obviously, one side would be the main line, which would pass through two of the switches. does the track beyond the third switch dead end, like a spur or stub track? or does it ultimately connect back into the mainline somewhere else? the answer will determine how i'd advise wiring this track.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tscdata

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply and thought provoking questions.

I am using the "Y" configuration as a turnaround at the end a section of a branch line.  Yes, there are 3 turnouts (switches) involved.  One "Y" switch One lefthand switch and 1 right hand switch.  All 3 route power thru the points.  And the track indeed does dead end.

John

jward

have you thought about using the switch motor contacts (if you have them) or an atlas snap relay to power this stub track? you could then use the autoreverser somewhere else. i could find no documentation on the bachmann autoreverser.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

tsc and je-

The autoreverser is not what you want; it's designed to have a car or train go back and forth on a given length of track.  What you DO want is module which corrects electrical polarity in turnback loops, wyes and turntables.  I have one hooked up to a turntable (easy) and it works flawlessly.

-- D

tscdata

Doneldon,

Thank you for your comments.

Would you please send me the name of the manufacture of the reversing unit that you are using.

John

OldTimer

Several companies make auto reversing circuits.  One of the easiest to install and pay for  :o  is MRC's  AD520.  List price is around 40 bucks.  Hook two wires to your main line and two wires to the reversing section of your wye, and you're in business.  Hope this helps.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

tscdata

tscdata

Just an update:

I have written to many manufactures about auto reverse on a "Y".  Of all, only one has responded to my question(s).  The respondent is MRC.

MRC feels that the AD520 can do the job.  They even emailed me a wiring installation diagram.

I have since prepared my "Y" per their instructions and ordered the AD520.  I also asked MRC if the AD520 could be used as a auto reverse unit on a straight section of track.  The answere is the 520 is not a auto reverser.

After the 520 arrives I will install and report back.

To all who have responded to my question I thank you.

Wishing all a Great Christmas and a Healthy New Year.

John