Do I oil engine and wheels and how often

Started by champ123, December 08, 2010, 07:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

champ123

I need to know what parts to oil on the bachmann engine and wheels. How often do I clean the tracks? I have ez-track with nickel coating and I have flex track on the second train. The layout has been finished close to 10mths and I have ran the engine around three hours.

Thank You,

Gomer
champ123

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks again for all other answers from the other questions

A beginner from Western N.C.

simkon

The wheels do not need oiled, just cleaned, and the frequency of oiling is variable depending on several factors. You should clean the track whenever you notice a drop-off in performance.

the Bach-man

jsmvmd

Dear Mr. B !

In the words of Eddie Murphy, "Lookin' good, Lewis !"  "Still such a looker" (MIB II) after all these years.

Best Wishes,

Hazel

Doneldon

champ-

Use very little lubricant.  My rule of thumb is to imagine what is the least amount of oil or grease I think I need and then use half of that.  It really only requires a tiny amount and overlubricating will cause more problems -- potentially severe ones -- than underdoing it.
                                                                                                                                                 -- D

mabloodhound

Obviously you didn't follow the instructions.   He quite clearly explains that to remove the shell there is a tab at the front.   And he certainly explains very well how to lubricate it.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

jtrain

jake_iv

An honest objective answer -  you need to oil gears and bearings about once a year for the typical model railroader.  Avoid using grease - in fact, I use CRC Electronic Cleaner ( get it at your local auto parts) to remove all factory grease before I run my new locos.  Look carefully at the diagrams in you new loco to see how to disassemble it.  Then use Bachmann or LaBelle plastic compatable oil to lubricate the bearings and gears.  The gear lube should be a heavy form and the bearing oil LaBelle #108 or Bachmann EZ Lube #99989.  Most of the time I pass on the heavy oil or white lube and use only the Bachmann EZ lube.  Use the needle dropper on the oil to put ONE drop of oil on each bearing and gear.  That is all that you need!  If you run your trains a lot OR let them sit for 6 moths or so without running then you should lube them more often.