News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc motor insulating tip

Started by tomcat623, June 08, 2007, 05:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat623

I've seen so many ways to wire a bachmann spring contact motor for dcc on the internet its amazing. some say clip the tab off and solder to the brush cap, some cut the tab and solder to that, They all say to wrap tape or something around the connections and to mark the motor so you know which way is up. If you look closely the motor is marked with an N on the plastic case end, thats where the gray wire goes but first clip the spring tab leaving about 3/16", tin it , then put 5/16" of 3/64" shrink tube on your wire lead, solder it to your motor tab, slide the shrink tube all the way over cut tab up to the round brush cap (its real tight but it will fit over) heat the shrink tubing tight and bend the tab back over the brush cap and you've got a permanent no nonsense safe and clean looking brush connection without a chance of a short.

Tom

Jim Banner

On a rare occasion, the brush retainer cap will pop off, shorting to the frame and destroying the decoder.  Does this shrink tubing method preclude that possibility or should we still use some tape and/or silicone seal?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tomcat623

I doubt the retainer cap can pop off if its never been removed which weakens the clips holding it on. If you do it like I suggest the shrink wrapped insulated tab is folded back over the cap further insuring that it can't pop off.
Tom