News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roadbed Question

Started by Need Trained, December 15, 2010, 07:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Need Trained

I am brand new to this hobby and intend to use the EZ track system. Is there any material that needs to go under the track as an underlayment, such as felt or anything?

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Need Trained on December 15, 2010, 07:20:18 AM
I am brand new to this hobby and intend to use the EZ track system. Is there any material that needs to go under the track as an underlayment, such as felt or anything?

Strictly speaking, I would say no. You can put the track down right on top of whatever you are covering your table top with (paint, grass mat, for example).

For a layout that isn't permanent--that is, the track isn't fastened down to the table top--I cover my table top with an old, dark green flannel sheet.

Doneldon

Trainee (is that a pun?)-

You'll have better luck if things are fastened down.  And if you're doing a permanent layout, you'll want roadbed and, ideally, subroadbed.  The roadbed can be cork, foam, wood , Homasote or a number of other products.  Your layout will look MUCH better with roadbed and operate better as well.

If that's not in the picture, i.e., you have a temporary setup, use the Bachmann EZ Track system or another manufacturer's comparable track.  This has integrated roadbed and will hold things together much better than sectional track alone. 

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.  You'll find a wealth of excellent information (and some crappy stuff, too, but not often) so don't hesitate to use this board for questions, ideas and showing off what you've accomplished.
                                                                                                                                                        -- D