News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rail clips

Started by mf5117, December 21, 2010, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

I don't want to sound like I'm not sure . but was looking at buying 200 brass rail clips with the 2 screws in them that keeps the rails joined together . the brass aristo-craft track I have has the set screw that goes threw the rail joiner . but I have alot of LGB track that has no way to join. only with the plastic clips , I don't care for those . don't like the look . just wondering if their worth the investment .

thanks Merry Christmas Mark f

mf5117

Excuse me I forgot to mention . I will be laying my track out doors . Not sure of the ballast yet .I hurried a layout in the spring with pea gravel and sand in the spring .but redoing the layout . And will be building about 20ft of trestle's and nailing the track down the trestle's . But wondering about the rail clips . I really don't want to solder the rails . I have seen 2 or 3 different type's but the price difference . I found packs of 10 for around $11.00 a pack

NarrowMinded

They work very well, there are some for use over the railclip/joiner also, so make sure you get the right ones and there are also differant sizes for differant code rail

NM

mf5117

Thanks narrow / Again wow I didn't think of the rail size . I don't have the # off hand but I saw some aristo -craft rail clips but I will check into the rail size of the rails I'm going to use the rail clips on . thanks

And for the record I know I have some off brand equipment . But I love my Bachmann stuff as well

smcgill

mf5117  interesting name.  ::)
You can go that way or you could go with a diff approche.
Train-li sells rail clamps that work even better than the ones you are asking about.
http://www.train-li-usa.com/store/around-track-rail-clamps-c-54_61.html
http://www.train-li-usa.com/  
I have been using them in New England for a couple of winters now.
I do not bother with the other any more I just install these.
You could also check the following forums or web sites ,as this subject is old.
www.mylargescale.com
largescalecentral.com
www.girr.org/girr/index.html
http://elmassian.com/
I hope this helps!    ;D
Sean

VirginiaCentral

Mark, it is definitely worth it to use the rail clamps on your track.  I have experience with both Hillman and Split-Jaw clamps and they both work fine.  There are several variations of the clamps but they can generally be classified as either "in place of" or "over the joiner" clamps.  Over the joiner clamps can easily be installed on your existing track without having to take your track apart to install the new clamps.

Since you mentioned LGB track, be advised that in can be difficult to remove the LGB rail joiners, which of course you will need to do if you decide to use the "in place of" clamps.  I found the easiest way to remove LGB joiners is to drill out the dimple on the bottom of the LGB rail joiner.  The LGB rail can then be slid out of the way to remove the rail joiner.

Hope this is helpful.  Merry Christmas one and all.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"