News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Strasburg Railroad Set and Cars

Started by BillingsRR, December 16, 2010, 10:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillingsRR

I've noticed that Strasburg Railroad, a huge tourist railroad in Amish Country, PA, made an O Scale train set with Lionel. They also have an HO and N scale line of coaches with a smaller company. I think Bachmann should be the first to make a Large Scale Strasburg set. I would tottaly buy it. Bachmann puts so much detail into their engines and the Strasburg engines and coaches would look great with the Bachmann details.  So Mr. Bach-man, what do you think? Are there any hopes for a Strasburg Big Haulers Set?
-BRR

the Bach-man

Dear Billings,
They are a standard gauge line. Our Large Scale trains are all narrow gauge.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

Mark Oles

Psst.. Mr. Bachmann, I hate to be a spoilsport, but you've done the following standard gauge paint schemes on your Big Hauler:

AT&SF
Baltimore & Ohio
NYC&HRR
New Jersey Central
Polar Express
Southern
Reading
Pennsylvania
Great Northern
Union Pacific

What's one more?  We'd have to buy one if you made one.  A local hobby shop buys billboards in November and December and the SRR train set mentioned is featured.  My 3 year old recognized it immediately.  AND, the SRR did put standard gauge trucks under their narrow gauge gas electric. 

Another option might be a set for the Lancaster, Oxford and Southern,  the 3' gauge railroad that the Strasburg whistles to at Carpenter's crossing.   Just a thought.  I know bachmann made L,O&S gondolas in the 90s. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Got to agree with Mark on this one. 

On my own railroad I use Bachmann "narrow guage " products to represent standard guage.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

BillingsRR

@ Mr. Bach-man

yes, but you have made some standard gauge. The list Mark gave is a perfect example. Strasburg engines and cars would also be a nice addition to that list........

I also own the GN and B&O Royal Blue sets. And i would be one of the first to buy the Strasburg set. On youtube someone made a Willmington and Wesrern line out of your kits and blank engines. I've been debating on doing Strasburg cars, since Strasburg is my favorite RR and my favorite vacation spot. But i've decided to wait.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Actually, you all make a great point...
I'll see if the matter can be pursued...
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

BillingsRR

@ Mr. Bach-man

sounds good! hopefully the set will be released, you will save me so much time!

Bucksco

If we do a Strasburg set it would most likely be in HO scale. Better price point for the Strasburg gift stores and easier for the visitors to carry home.

BillingsRR

@ Jack

Strasburg is already with a company for HO, so you have to buy the licensing from that company. Z and G scale are the only scales they haven't made a set in, so you don't have to buy a license from another company.

Loco Bill Canelos

Jack, don't forget the folks that don't go to the Strasburg RR just to buy a set there.
As a wider release item I think it would do very well at many shops and stores
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

BillingsRR

I agree with Bill, i have a friend who lives in California who loved the Strasburg as much as i do and he would love to buy a set in Large scale. I would be one of the first people in line for the set as well. And if you sell it, Strasburg might build a Garden RR like the B&O museum. And who knows maybe Strasburg would do similar to Longwood Gardens, put out catalogues and run the Bachmann engines all the time...........

Think about it, Longwood's RR is open for 5 months, but Strasburg RR is open almost the entire year. More promotion for Bachmann for a longer period of time each year = more money for Bachmann.

And since there is as White Pass and Yukon set, which is now a tourist RR, why not add a tourist set for the east coast? And Strasburg was an important line in the past. Abe Lincoln rode on it. And a while ago Strasburg got $1 million from the state of PA to help their freight operations become easier. Strasburg is a Steam version of CSX, but a shortline and they carry passengers as well. I think a Strasburg set would be a good set for 2011.

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Jack Lynch on December 18, 2010, 12:31:57 PM
If we do a Strasburg set it would most likely be in HO scale. Better price point for the Strasburg gift stores and easier for the visitors to carry home.

I dunno, Jack. I'm thinking the first "G-scale" train set in a collector's edition, souvenir carry-on rolling suitcase! Put a big piece of plexiglass on the front so you can see the trains, and when you use the bag on your next trip, the TSA won't have to use the x-ray machine!  ;D

Too bad PRR 1223 is a 4-4-0, not a 4-6-0. I've always liked that one.

Later,

K

BillingsRR

Kevin's idea is good.

And if there is an EBT line, which is now a tourist line, why not a Strasburg? Why don't you just make HO EBT stuff. Wouldn't it be easier for the EBT guests to carry home an HO set? Whats the difference between the two besides the gauges of the trains. Strasburg and EBT have similar histories. And personally I think more people know what Strasburg is v.s. EBT. I didn't know about EBT until about a year and a half ago. If the guests at the EBT can carry at Large scale set, why can't the guests at Strasburg? Really the whole carrying thing makes no sense. IF they can carry other Large scale sets, which Strasburg does sell, why can't they carry a Strasburg LS set? They would be the same size and weight as the PRR set Strasburg sells in their gift shops. They already carry them out anyway, and most guests would rather carry out a Strasburg set because that's what they just visited. They didn't visit the Durango and Silverton, which is sold there, or the PRR tourist railroad. They visited Strasburg. I think you should make it, the whole carry thing makes no sense to me at all. And the HO line is already in production with a small company, and i don't think anyone would be foolish enough to sell the license to anything Strasburg.
-BRR

Mark Oles

Bachmann,

I do think that a Strasburg Railroad painted Big Hauler would sell.  The colors would be similar to PRR.  Many folks in large scale travel to York, PA for the train shows there, and many more travel to the TCA museum in Strasburg.  I think it would sell well, but truthfully, almost no model trains seem to sell at the railroad itself.

No one has yet offered a set lettered for this popular line in large scale.  Perhaps the time is right? 

BillingsRR

Everyone is bringing good reasons to the table