Metal wheels on big hauler passenger coaches

Started by Tonkahawk, December 18, 2010, 01:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonkahawk

Hi, this is my first post. I tried to add contact brushes to my coaches for track power lighting but all the metal wheels the set came with have 2 holes drilled behind the flanges which interfere with the brushes. Is there a reason for these holes? And... Do all Bachman metal wheels have them?  I hope not because I'm running out of 9 volt batteries.

Jon D. Miller

You have some of the early metal wheel Bachmann coaches.  Have no idea why they were produced with the holes in the back side of the wheel.  Those are some old coaches.

You have a few choices to solve the problem.

Easy solution it to purchase the newer version of Bachmann metal wheels. These wheels do not have the small holes.  The wheels that fit your coaches are Bachmann item #92421.  They are sold four axles to a card.  These would be a direct swap with the wheels you now have.  Bachmann has been installing these wheels on both coaches and revenue cars for a number of years.

Second choice would be to fill the holes with a product called JB Weld.  It is a two part material that when mixed together hardens and is ready for use in about 24 hours.  JB Weld is sold at most auto parts stores.  Fill the holes with the JB Weld so it is flat with the top of the hole.  Make sure it's flat because this is some tough material and could cause a problem trying to sand it flat. 

Third choice is to convert the coaches to 5mm bright white LEDS.  With the LEDs you would continue to use the 9 volt batteries.  Three LEDs in a coach will give plenty of light.  Battery life will be in the 30-40 hour range.  This conversion requires taking the coaches apart to install the LEDs in place of the existing bulbs.

Quickest solution is to switch out your wheels for the newer Bachmann wheel sets.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

NarrowMinded

The little "holes" were for positioning the wheel during manufacturing.

NM