News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum

Started by thunderbeast1968, December 18, 2010, 05:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderbeast1968

Hello, I seem to have a problem that needs solved.  I bought an Athearn train set approx. 1 yr ago for my son. He wanted a steam engine for his layout, my dad purchased a Bachmann/Spectrum for him.  The engine is not running well at all, or it gives me an overload light on the controller. I put his original engine back on and it gives me no problems. He also has another engine which is a Bachmann and it runs fine .

I took it back to the hobby shop where it was purchased and received a replacement.  This engine is doing the exact same thing.  I have checked connections, cleaned the tracks, but have the same issues. The original train that I returned, ran fine at the test track at the hobby shop, so what gives?  -Frustrated before Christmas

Jim Banner

The Atearm power pack may be a pulse type.  Locomotives with DCC decoders often do not like pulse type power packs.  One solution is to unplug the decoder and install the three legged metal things that came with the locomotive (see the locomotive instructions.)  Unless the Spectrum locomotive is old stock, it will have a decoder installed.

Question - when you took the original back to the hobby shop for testing, did they test it with your power pack or with theirs?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

thunderbeast1968

Jim, thanks for the info. The hobby shop tested it with their transformer.  I will look thru  the book to see about changing that out.  Thanks again.