News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connie Driver Springs

Started by srr4501, December 19, 2010, 10:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srr4501

I have 2 Connie's and the driver springs on both are virtually non existent especially those on the rear axle. Has anyone replaced these springs? If so, what springs did you use as replacements?

Jon D. Miller

I've had a Connie since they were first introduced.  It tracks just fine.   It handles not only my layout but also any number of other club members layouts.  Never a problem that could be traced to the springs.

What problems are you having that makes you think stronger springs will help?

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

srr4501

On the loco that I run, the rear springs are completely collapsed and it's not sitting level. As I raise the rear by hand to a level position, the others begin to collapse as well. On the new one  sitting on the shelf, never run, no springs are showing, indicating that they are all collapsed. It would be nice to know what normal is supposed to be.

Loco Bill Canelos

My Three connies have bee ruin hard and the springs are fine.   I have heard that if the chassis is shorted out and the fuses don't blow right away the springs can become heated and collapse.  I had this happen to the springs in the motor block on the 45 tonner after a bad short.

Not saying that is the reason on your connie, but it definitely applies only to track powered locos. 

I too am curious as to how to change the springs.  I would contact Bachmann for replacement springs, even if they are not in the current parts list.

Cheers & Beers

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

srr4501

I have recently replaced the electrical pickup springs but I'm talking about the driver springs. I don't think there is an electrical issue with these springs. Appears to be just weak springs to begin with from what I can see. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed or had this problem.

Barry BBT

During the development of my replacement motor and gearbox, TOC contributed to the instruction set, by observing that the Connie was "Tail Heavy".  He also added that we needed to balance out the loco.  Remarkable, we did this on the smaller gauges/scales and had some success, here we should have marked improvement.

TOC, suggested adding tire weights, with the sticky backs into the smoke box.  Use a half section of 1 1/2" PVC between the 2nd and third drivers as a balance point.

Hope this helps.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

srr4501

Barry,
What about the springs themselves?

StanAmes

There are actually two sets of springs for each axle. One set above the ball bearing block and one set for the pickups.  I believe that these springs are actually identical springs so the downward force is shared equally between these two sets of springs.

I have noticed no difference in force of the springs above the ball bearing block after many years of service.  I use DCC track power and have observed that the electrical pickup springs can loose their spring force over time likely due to the heat of the electrical current going through the springs.  AI replaced all the electrical pickup springs with stainless steel springs which hold up better to the current.

Stan

PS  Barry's comment about balancing the drivers is a very good suggestion and works well